Strange DPF issues
08-16-2016, (Subject: Strange DPF issues ) 
Strange DPF issues
First off, I'm new here and thankful I found this community and thankful of all I've learned so far about my engine, i'm excited to be here.

I've looked extensively online in forums for this problem but no real info on what could be causing it. During an active regen I started noticing bluish white smoke on shifts, and longer if I'm pulling a hill. This was last week and after the regen was done all went back to normal, I had full power the whole time. Yesterday I rolled into a city and had to stop at a few lights, I noticed I was doing a regen when I got to the light (HEST came on), after i took off from the last light and started to accelerate I noticed I had very little power, and was getting the odd bluish white puff from the stack, boost was at 25psi on the dash (usually between 30 and 40 on WOT). About 10km later I got up to full highway speed and it seemed I had my power back..odd. I stopped a few hours later and was greeted with a CEL after a few mins of idle. I shut the truck down to eat and when I started up again the light was off, full power. Started today, no problems for most of the day, around 5pm I hit a construction zone and slowed down, after I was clear I went to accelerate, same BS, this time I couldn't detect smoke in the mirrors (hard to see, stack on the back of the sleeper), but no CEL until about a half hour later (still no power) basically stayed like that until I unloaded and went home although after i dumped I could get over 30psi on the boost but didn't get there all that fast, the truck still felt sluggish.

THAT SAID, tomorrow the truck is going into our company shop where I will have access to Insite, and I will be looking at doing Rawze's EGR tuneup (this truck is relatively new to me). What things in Insite should I look for to help diagnose this problem? anything I should do above and beyond the EGR tuneup? I'll list specs and what info I know below to help you wizards help me..

2008 KW T660, ISX485 (CM871 CPL2733) Turbo/actuator done mid June - 5000km on it, originally 485 but "bumped" to 550 by Cummins when they inframed it 30000km ago (i'll be verifying its a compatible CAL after reading rawze's post about bumping power - didn't even know you could mess that up with a Cummins tune) EGR cooler done a few years ago. Uses no coolant that I can detect yet and as for oil it seems that it's not using anything significant (ive had this truck on the road since AUG 1 so i'm still learning it's patterns) also the IMAP sensor is clean since i pulled it and checked (until this forum, that's all i thought was needed).
replyreply
08-16-2016, (Subject: Strange DPF issues ) 
RE: Strange DPF issues
Rawze has a video on YT about doing a forced regen on insite. Those parameters he sets up are a good starting point on getting a good eye on what is happening during a regen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnRiNdDh7w

I've heard a couple times that the blueish smoke is a good indication of a cracked dpf, so I'd have that inspected as well. Definitely start with an egr tune up and then investigate further from there. Take a look here to see how shops bump up tunes on trucks and can actually do more harm than good as well. It can be done... just needs to be done correctly.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1

User's Signature: 2012 Cascadia ISX15 CM2250
replyreply
08-17-2016, (Subject: Strange DPF issues ) 
* Find out what software you have in the ECM, like stated in the article mentioned above.

* Clean the Doser injector tip (or replace it if it is old).

* Check the history for how often it is doing a regen, and what the Inhg readings were averaging. Anything above 3.0 is not too good and costing you fuel mileage.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Alright. I put the truck on cummins insite to check the inactive codes. I have 3 different fuel delivery codes. I'll post them with a picture of the actual screen instead of writing it all out on my phone here. The numbers were 2372 2215 and 0547. Also have codes for high after treatment exhaust gas 2. I did a forced regen to see how it performed and it seemed to perform well. It hit doc temp of 550 or so within 10 mins and after dosing began it climbed to about 1000 to 1050 and stayed there. Outlet temp was 950 and climbed to 1040 as the regen progressed. The inHg was around .75 to start and ended at .45. Intake manifold pressure was 8 to 10 inHg and exhaust pressure was 120 to 130inHg. Turbo actuator was 91 to 93 percent measured and speed varied from 40000 to 45000.

The CPL calls for AV10047.11 (from the ecm badge itself) the current installed version from the top bar of insite is AV10165.18. Does this work? Original was 485 and current is 550.

As far as the codes. I'll do the egr t8neup and change fuel filters unless anyone has any other insight.
replyreply
Most of our original CPL numbers have been updated after they redesigned the dpf filters. I think Rawze has a list of the old to new CPL numbers. That may be the updated cal file to reflect the CPL changes.
replyreply
The Calibrations are compatible.

Replace your exhaust gas pressure sensor and make sure the little pipe that feeds it is not clogged.

Do a maintenance reset in Insite and see how long before the codes come back.

Also pull out the DOC and DPF cans and look at their faces next time they are clogging up. this will tell you what is likely causing it.

Are you loosing oil pressure after 8,000 - 10,00 miles? - like when you first change your oil, is the operating pressure going down the road around 34-36 or so, then it falls off after 10k miles or so to a lower pressure to like 30 PSI or less?. this is an indication that your engine is making too much soot and clogging up the filters.

rough idle?

power hesitation?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Good to know the Cals are good, one less thing to worry about. I'm not sure of the oil pressure loss as I haven't put enough miles on the oil change to see a drop, the previous owner did a oil change not too long before I bought the truck and i was still pulling 38-40 psi at normal operating speed, it would drop below thirty while idling but come back up on fast idle which seems normal to me. I changed oil today and i'll keep a close eye on it. No rough idle and the power *seems* normal for what it is (hard to compare since the previous truck I drove, the owner had de-mandate'd it and had it tuned by a shop in Canada here, it pulled very well so my perspective is all screwed up) About getting one's hands on Inline and Insite, our shop guy said the set up is worth something crazy like $10k? Does that sound right? I'd like to get it for myself but not for that price.
replyreply
A good used laptop $100. Inline 5 off eBay with insite 7.6.2 $150-300. Total outlay of cash ...under $500
replyreply
08-20-2016, (Subject: Strange DPF issues ) 
I went out on another trip, I'm wondering If maybe I mis-named this thread, I think the DPF is fine. However i'm still getting CEL's the same thing as before, power detrates (although not as severe in length, and only one this time) and the CEL comes on and off with no rhyme or reason. I wont be able to get Insite hooked up for a few days to see if its the same codes, but I have time tomorrow to do some work on the truck.

Here's the 4 fuel related codes I got

2372 -Fuel Filter differential pressure - Data Valid but above normal operating range, Moderately severe level. 1 count

2215 - Fuel Pump delivery pressure, data valid but below normal operating range, moderately severe level. 5 counts

0547 - Fuel Delivery Pressure Sensor Circuit, Voltage below normal or shorted to low source - 2 counts

1928 - Aftertreatment fuel pressure sensor circuit, Voltage below normal or shorted to low source - 2 counts

I cant make out what these codes are pointing to, the first two point to a plugged fuel filter so i've changed those, the second two point to electrical. im confused! maybe time for a drink.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.