Buying 2015 isx 2350 234k miles high hours
09-30-2021, (Subject: Buying 2015 isx 2350 234k miles high hours ) 
Buying 2015 isx 2350 234k miles high hours
I'm about to become A truck owner and wanted some advice, I'm looking at buying a 2015 t800 with an isx 2350 with 243k and 11000hrs on it. The truck has a pto. I think I need to do a fuel pump from research on the isx motor in regards to ceramic plungers in the fuel pump, destroying the motor. Am I wrong? I've climbed under the truck crawling around on my back in the dirt and everything looks to be in decent order. The isx sounds good idling and going down the road. I have only ever driven Detroits, paccar, and xseries motors. I know this truck is my responsibility and I want to do everything I can to keep her healthy so I can pay myself instead of the shop. I have inflame cost right now, the truck itself is in good shape. If I installed an oil bypass, could I look into anything else to push the rebuild out to 200k mile? If I look at the cam and it's not D.O.A is there any hope? I understand that buying a used engine is a crap shoot. My goals for this truck is to do my best not to sleep in it running Phoenix-->Vegas Phoenix--->300 miles or less. If I can do this I can avoid idle time from sleeping in it while in the heat. Is there anything I can pair with an oil bypass to flush out soot and try and make it to 450k-500k total miles from 243k? You're the guy that everyone keeps referencing on isx/cummins motors. I'd like to use your methods of care when it comes to anything cummins related. I'm just trying to do my best. My plan moving forward is oil bypass and to have all the 250k maintenance recommended by paccar, trying to run some kind of cleaner through the motor and do an oil change every 6k for the next 12k miles. Is my biggest concern piston linings or camshaft in your opinion? What would you do with a motor in this condition?
replyreply
RE: Buying 2015 isx 2350 234k miles high hours
First of all, what's the rear end ratio? That will tell you a lot about how that engines been driven and if it's been lugged to death. Lugging them down below 1500rpm is what breaks the liners loose.

You are right about the fuel pump being an issue, and it doesn't matter if you have ceramic or steel plungers, they are both problematic. You need to have a GOOD look inside that pump and inside the gears on the front of the engine. Your looking for damage from a failed pump. Don't end up like this guy

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7740

If your gonna buy a cummins you're gonna need the insite program and an inline adapter. This should be the first thing you buy if you end up with this truck or any other with a red engine. Most guys get it off ebay for around $300.00

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
I looked over that thread you posted, definitely doing fuel pump. I have money for that. I'm also doing drive tires, if anyone could recommend what tires they like best, I'm not running recaps when I do tires.
replyreply
11,00 hours is a h$ell of a lot of PTO, chewing up the liners at low RPM's and high torque its whole life... guarantee that engine is soon to be in a shop with a liner problem... a $20,000+ inframe in its near future.

next: THE FUEL PUMP GUTS NEED REPLACING EVERY 400K MILES OR 8,000 HOURS REGARDLESS OF WHAT PLUNGERS IT HAS IN IT!!... ALL COMMON RAIL ISX FUEL PUMP DESIGNS AND PLUNGER STYLES ARE AT RISK OF FAIL. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT TYPE OF PLUNGERS IT HAS IN IT!.. Even the newest type. The guts of that fuel pump should have been replaced at 8,000 hours... So its past due and it is a ticking time bomb ready to completely destroy that engine without any warning at this point. Realisticly, it should not even be driven until this has been done... so you need to include that right into the price of the truck purchase along with about $3,000 in other maintenance items to get it somewhat reliable again.

Hope you have the moneys for an inframe on standby if you purchase that truck. .. It isn't going to last much longer. I don't give it a year .. maybe ... and you'll be inframing it depending on what your going to use that truck for.

You don't buy a truck because "how it looks" or "how it feels" on a test drive ... that is a horrible, unwise way to go about buying a used truck!.

You consider buying a truck with the best matched specifications of how well it fits your operations, how much long term profitability it will yield vs. what it has towards lowering operating costs as much as possible, and then any options that will be needed. Then you determine if any trucks you find that meets those criteria.. (because owning a truck is about making a profit, not how it looks or feels), then determine what expectation of life it has left in it .. and then price it accordingly.

A lot of unanswered questions. A smart person does not buy a truck ready for an in-frame unless they have some planning ahead of them... and also they do not buy them "because they look good".. that is the biggest mistake truck owners make... buying a truck based on "how it feels" and "how it looks"... that is nothing but blowing smoke up your own arsse.

*Also what type of operation/type of loads do you plan on doing with it?... type of driving? .. local?, city?, highway
*What is the rear end ratio?... this is VERY important.
*What type of tranny, etc.?
* Is it de-mandated (deleted) or is all the emissions systems still in tact and functioning?

More info is needed for sure... unless that is .. you want to keep guessing in the dark based on touchy-feely things that have no merit torward making a solid, educated decision.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: FnG92
Had a mechanic meet me at the dealership to verify miles and look at the old codes that have come up. I have 38k set aside for inflame. After purchase I'm going to get the cam adjusted, it's a isx15 2350 450hp 3.55 with a 10 speed automatic. When I say it sounds good I don't mean it sounds nice or looks nice. It's in decent operating condition. I'm looking at 58k for the truck. I live in Phoenix and would like to do loads between Vegas, Phoenix, NM and, Texas. Truck is governd at 68mph. The truck shows minimal pto time on the dash but I do no the truck was environmental waste company. Per the rules of this thread I'm not supposed to say the names of companies. I'm looking to run dry van loads.
replyreply
Also def system was running in spec when a regen was performed hooked up to the reader. Mechanic said to run oil sample before doing fuel pump because they can be spendy. My dad hauls gas and they have been running Pete's with isx's starting in 09-19 until the company started doing Volvo motor+trans and have seen 1mpg increase on 105500 lb loads mostly in town and has told me they've never seen a pump grenade a motor. If you truly believe the motor will need an inflame in the near future, would it make sense to wait till it explodes to do pump anyway?
replyreply
3.55'S is not bad. 3.79's would be slightly better, but it is in the ball-park and not some tall-geared, engine killing crap like most of the fleet trucks these days.

So your going to put a mid-roof T800 in front of dry-van reefer freight?.. that is going to cost you some fuel mileage.

Also its an Auto-Shitt#er?.. that is going to easily cost you about as much as $3,000+ (double this for team drivers) extra in fuel a year to run it with that tranny in it vs. good driving habits and a stick. The maintenance on it is going to be higher than a few years time as well. This needs to be considered, as your running when the industry calls ... low-rent freight.

That Auto-s$itter is also going to lug the crap out of that engine.. Those Autoshifter trannies, you would be lucky to get it to run above 1500 much at all when heavy.. you will have to have it in manual mode most of the time, they are very hard on the engine, always trying to keep the rpm low and luggin it. This shortens engine life by as much as about half on some trucks. Unless you have a handicap and cannot shift gears properly for yourself.. they are not the best choice at all.

The fuel mileage losses will be about 0.6mpg or so for the tranny per mile vs a good driver w good shifting habbits. Combine that with the mis-match mid-roof and tall trailers, its going to be another 0.4 - 0.8 depending on how fast you drive it. This is more than 1mpg fuel mileage losses alone, right off the top. You'de be lucky to keep it in the low to mid 7's if you only drive it 63 mph everywhere.. otherwise its going to be down in the 6's .. and this is not a good place to be for dry/reefer freight nowadays.

The HP is not high .. so it may have a chance to last a couple 3 more years ... maybe, but with that auto tranny and that mid-roof .. your going to be constantly throwing away fuel money and it is not ideal at all for Dry/reefer type operations at all... you will struggle if you don't keep your speeds down.

Driving by a boost gauge (keeping it below 20 psi on pulls) will be your friend. Hopefully it has a boost gauge in it and if not.. that should be the first investment for it after replacing the guts of the fuel pump.

the Price is too high if you ask me too. .. especially if you running that type of freight and fighting against fuel mileage losses like that. You will have to hyper-mile it and drive it below 63 all the time to make decent moneys with it. I am warning you up front.

-- Adding it up so far, your not setting yourself up very well for maximizing a profit margin.. that is what low-rent freight is all about. Dry/reefer freight is such that you need to imagine guys like me will come along and steal your customers out from under you and run the same loads for $2.25/mile (with an aero, 9-mpg truck) and you'll be wondering how we can make any moneys. That is what you will be doing if you don't do everything to be competitive in that market.

Just letting you know what you are getting into.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(09-30-2021 )FnG92 Wrote:  ...
Mechanic said to run oil sample before doing fuel pump because they can be spendy.

YOUR MECHANIC IS AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT!!! ... And you are too if you believe all the crap you've been told that came from your last post.

Around here, we don't "play on a hunch" and wait for bad oil samples when it comes to those fuel pumps .. THEY ARE NOTHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH AT ALL!!!

We know these engine VERY VERY WELL around here.. so take what i am trying to tell you with some serous weight.. OTHERWISE GET THE HE#LL OFF MY FORUM IF YOU NOT HERE TO LEARN AND LISTEN!

replyreply
I have gone to the dealership and got a part number 4359489pxcum description: R8E that's $3915.57 and a part number 4307482rxcum description: 29E for 651.54 I am taking what you have said seriously. I value this forum and I don't want to come across that I'm disregarding what you're saying. You firmly believe that this motor will blow up. I have money set aside for that and cost of not operating for a month when it does. I ask people that know more than me so I can make my best decision. You stand with doing the pump even if it will explode in 100k so that I can hope to get 100k out of it.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.