CAC testing sorta
10-20-2021, (Subject: CAC testing sorta ) 
CAC testing sorta
I have my little homemade CAC tester. Photo below.

I just changed the CAC. I can feel some improvement. However, haven’t seen a sizable increase in fuel mileage. Instead, I hear more turbo sound on the drivers side now. So, my question:

Can I put my tool on the turbo side of the CAC and blow air through to try to find where this turbo sound is coming from on the drivers side? Any negative effects? If it does hold air pressure, what’s the max I can put on it?

I’m still suffering from low fuel economy. With fuel prices jumping, I’m trying to find the issue.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: CAC testing sorta
Out of curiosity, what led you to change the charge air cooler? Did you test it and find it leaking?
replyreply
When I made this contraption, I did a test myself. It wouldn’t hold air for nothing. So, I removed the CAC for testing. According to 2 shops, it was beyond repair.

But, the reason I tested in the first place is because of this low fuel mileage I’m suffering with.
replyreply
(10-20-2021 )Lead_sled Wrote:  I have my little homemade CAC tester. Photo below.

I just changed the CAC. I can feel some improvement. However, haven’t seen a sizable increase in fuel mileage. Instead, I hear more turbo sound on the drivers side now. So, my question:

Can I put my tool on the turbo side of the CAC and blow air through to try to find where this turbo sound is coming from on the drivers side? Any negative effects? If it does hold air pressure, what’s the max I can put on it?

I’m still suffering from low fuel economy. With fuel prices jumping, I’m trying to find the issue.

I made the same kit years ago. It did fine at low pressures but if you take the pressure above ~20 psi you run the strong risk of blowing one of the caps out. I did it twice. It's quite dangerous. There just isn't enough friction to keep it in the CAC boot no matter how tight the clamp is.
replyreply
It is also possible to cap off the turbo at both the intake and exhuaust side and pressurize the whole engine + EGR, + CAC, all of it up together. I do this sometimes with people here at the house.

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...21#pid8321

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-21-2021, (Subject: CAC testing sorta ) 
Thanks Rawze. This is exactly the info I was looking for.
replyreply
Forgot to ask, but do you have info or a pic of this adapter you setup? It looks like just getting an air hose fitting with 1/4” not fitting, then adapt to this thread. And maybe have a manual valve with pressure gauge to see what’s going on.
replyreply
You Definitely want a good regulator so you don't accidentally blow shi#t up!!!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I was fighting the same thing, and found my gear pump was causing low fuel milage. Just a thought
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.