Crankcase Filter & MPG
08-18-2022, (Subject: Crankcase Filter & MPG ) 
Crankcase Filter & MPG
SPECS: 2013; ISX15; CM2350; Deleted; 760,000 OD

When the delete was performed at approximately 180,000 miles ago (yes, from VERY reliable directions from this form). At the time of the delete I followed the directions here to utilize the new Crankcase filter that I just purchased by drilling a hole in the side of it, etc. and then never thought anymore about it. Not TOO long afterward, I began to notice a "hissing" like noise on acceleration, etc. It sounded exhaust like in nature, but in a continued search for something lose or whatever I could never find anything.

Jumping forward a year I noticed a steady decline in my MPG and granted that I'm a Auto Hauler in a 2014 Pete 388 flat nose with generally a big SUV back on over the hood I'm always pushing a massive amount of wind and my route is ALWAYS uphill out of north Texas into Colorado. Always windy and generally always between 80k - 84k gross.

Last week, I had a feeling in my gut that I needed to change the crankcase filter. Can't say why I had that feeling, but I had it none-the-less. I went by Rush and bought a maintenance free filter $151.00. Pulled the old one out, completely saturated, etc. and installed the new filter. Cleaned everything and buttoned up everything. Took a first load after the filter change to colorado and the first thing I noticed, that hissing noise was gone. Normally that run would require around 330 gals of fuel, I had began to slow down when the fuel started getting so stupid I dropped my speed to 60/61 mph, dropped another gear keeping my rpm's up around 1800 and my mpg jumped by about 1/2 mpg. After changing the crankcase filter and just finishing up my IFTA report for the trip my mpg was 5.85, which from the worst numbers a few months back at 4.5 or so is well over 1.25 mpg increase.

No I have noticed no other issues or problems, at this moment. Does this sound logical to any of you? I've done nothing different than to slow down and drop a gear, but as soon as I changed that filter there was a noticeable change in economy.
replyreply
RE: Crankcase Filter & MPG
unless you have excessive blo-by then it should not have made any difference of one drilled out properly vs. a maint. free one.

It is however always better to have a proper maint. free crank case filter than to drill out the old one so that the paper does not rot out and break apart after a few years.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
Can the filter just be gutted and put back in drilled out?
replyreply
(08-18-2022 )hookliftpete Wrote:  Can the filter just be gutted and put back in drilled out?

yup.. as long as it has sufficient flow to not become restrictive later on... or break apart.rot out, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.