Help me understand these fluid analysis reports ISL
02-02-2023, (Subject: Help me understand these fluid analysis reports ISL ) 
Help me understand these fluid analysis reports ISL
HELP me read/comprehend these Engine/Generator Oil & Tranny fluid analysis on a 2009 American Eagle diesel pusher im looking to buy. Unknown hours/miles on both ISL and the Cummins generator. 69k miles on the 425hp ISL, 1350 hours on the onan/cummins generator

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202302/post_6350_1675338943_546ed8f409f2792b218a11282d9a68b3.jpg./uploads/202302/post_6350_1675338958_d2d0896ad8b105276958d02a508045b0.jpg./uploads/202302/post_6350_1675338978_9223faea7310acfae49d655ccfa3350e.jpg
replyreply
RE: Help me understand these fluid analysis reports ISL
None of them mean didly squat because the engine run hours on the oil samples are not shown/known.. and the miles being only 202 is not reflective on how much the engine was actually run.

As well... motor home or not ... a unit time of 69,092 hours is the equivalent hours for nearly 3.3+ million miles of run time on the engine.-== which also does not make any sense either.

I.E>. Other then not showing the engine has a hole thru the block or something else that could be detected just by simply cranking it up and driving it ... ... those reports are completely useless towards telling anyone how healthy the engine or its tranny or generator actually are. they are a complete waste of time without several other earlier reports to go with them, where the actual run time and/or run hours on each specific sample can be compared to against the wear metals, etc.

You might have well used them for toilet paper.. at least they would have served a useful purpose.;lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dfpp
(02-02-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  None of them mean didly squat because the engine run hours on the oil samples are not shown/known.. and the miles being only 202 is not reflective on how much the engine was actually run.

As well... motor home or not ... a unit time of 69,092 hours is the equivalent hours for nearly 3.3+ million miles of run time on the engine.-== which also does not make any sense either.

I.E>. Other then not showing the engine has a hole thru the block or something else that could be detected just by simply cranking it up and driving it ... ... those reports are completely useless towards telling anyone how healthy the engine or its tranny or generator actually are. they are a complete waste of time without several other earlier reports to go with them, where the actual run time and/or run hours on each specific sample can be compared to against the wear metals, etc.

You might have well used them for toilet paper.. at least they would have served a useful purpose.;lol

Thanks for the feedback sir! i have been told the following by the seller below. i wasnt sure if we could glean any information based on the ratios of wear metals not necessarily the amount in general? but it makes sense that without more knowledge about its hsistory or previous benchmarks this doesnt mean much
Engine oil was changed around 66k miles in 2019, its only had about 3k miles in it since.
Transmission fluid is original 2009
Generator oil was changed in 2019 around 1250 hours (roughly 100 hours of use)
replyreply
From what I remember reading (most likely on this forum lol), the concern with motorhomes or rarely used vehicles in general is what's called 'lot rot.' The components simply degrade due to time and being exposed to the elements rather than actual use. Inside the engine may have slight corrosion due to moisture (say on oil-dried cam lobes for example), causing pitting on critical components which only begins a string of problems to come.

As the engine runs and oil reaches proper operating temps, it will burn off any excess moisture created by the large variant sweep in temp (from the cooler ambient air to the hotter engine temp). Starting and allowing the engine to run for a small amount of time (without getting to operating temp) then letting sit for months on end will assist in creating that moisture and the 'lot rot' problems described above.

Not sure how much can be detected with an oil analysis on these type of circumstances. I would probably be more concerned more with the long intervals between uses. Maybe someone on here would have a suggestion on how to look for that issue.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dfpp
(02-02-2023 )dfpp Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback sir! i have been told the following by the seller below. i wasnt sure if we could glean any information based on the ratios of wear metals not necessarily the amount in general? but it makes sense that without more knowledge about its hsistory or previous benchmarks this doesnt mean much
Engine oil was changed around 66k miles in 2019, its only had about 3k miles in it since.
Transmission fluid is original 2009
Generator oil was changed in 2019 around 1250 hours (roughly 100 hours of use)

these are my thoughts at a glance ...

66k miles means absolutely nothing on a motor-home. You need to know the the engine hours interval on the oil for them. That iron is extremely high vs only 66k miles... and does not add up at all. It is either excessive rust in the top end from sitting too go%ddamn much.. or someone running it for 14,000+ hours between oil changes... and that would be abuse.

as far as the generator and 1250 hours.. the oil sample shows that the generator was not run very hard between its last oil change.. and nothing out of the ordinary.

also.. 1250 hours on a generator between oil changes sounds a bit long in the tooth for an oil change too. I don't care what cummins(onan) might recommend.

LASTLY.. that zinc (zddp) level is too low in both those engine samples. I don't know what kind of oil is being used but cummins engines are low pressure oil system engines, and zinc levels need to reflect these lower pressures. .. The zinc should be at 1250 to be optimum (the acceptable range is 1050 - 1400) on these red engines. The samples show the zinc down at 800ppm, so to me, this looks like an oil that is barely doing its job vs. the design of the engine.

that is what I see any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: dfpp , amermextrucker
02-03-2023, (Subject: Help me understand these fluid analysis reports ISL ) 
Check the abuse history, those things are notorious for overheating.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.