Looking for advice
06-19-2023, (Subject: Looking for advice ) 
Looking for advice
I now have a 2009 prostar with 800k on it. The truck is getting only 5.5 mpg, and it was built for Werner to haul a 3 axle papper trailer so it's heavy. And the fact that it has 800k on it I don't want to rebuild it. That being said I'm looking to update into a 2018-2020 truck.
I like the Mack Anthem and the Freightliner Cascadia I am also looking at International LT. I'm having a hard time deciding and trying to find one with a 13 speed trany.
Should I settle for a autoshift?
What say you on a truck and specs.. I'm looking for fuel millage,light weight and a 240 wheelbase. I pull a flatbed out of Boston as far west as Texas
replyreply
RE: Looking for advice
(some perspective) ...
If you cannot make that Prostar with an ISX CM871 turn at least 7+ or 8+ mpg.. then forget about anything newer!!!!.... --- something is wrong with the operations?. Perhaps the way you drive it?.. or that engine? .. and a newer truck is NOT going to be any better long term.

YOU ALREADY OWN A GSDDA#MN 9+ MPG TRUCK!!! --- WITH THE HIGHEST PROFIT MARGIN BRAND OF TRUCK IN THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY!!!...

IF IT IS NOT WORKING OUT FOR YOU.. THEN SOMETHING IS VERY VERY WRONG!!!... AND 90% OF THE TIME, IF IT IS A BAD AS YOU SAY.. IT IS HOW YOU ARE DRIVING IT, OR SOMETHING RELATED!.

ALL newer trucks and engines also have higher operating costs .. WITH ZERO FUEL OR OTHER FINANCIAL GAINS AT ALL (healthy engine and truck vs. newer healthy engine and truck) to justify the purchase. ALL the common rail engines are inherently LESS PROFITABLE over a million mile span vs a well cared for CM871.

A new truck is NOT going to fix this... but only make a whole lot of payments piled on top of the already unusually low fuel mileage that you currently suffer.

I know this quite well. I own a prostar with a CM871... and even at 1.4 million on the odometer.. it still breaks 9+ mpg with 80,000 lb coils in the box all day long.

-= MAKE WHAT YOU GOT MORE PROFITABLE.. squeeze it for all its worth. FIGURE OUT what is costing you your fuel mileage and other financial losses ... Then look and see where you are at.

I know that if I could do it ... So can the next person. It is called discipline and determination.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy , hhow55 , Bengy88 , david24 , Pd6cas2
Yea I’m gonna agree with Rawze, you have one of the best engines that Cummins had ever built for a truck. The only one I’ve ever seen more reliable is an 870 and that’s because it came with no after treatment. I understand people want to update their trucks to something more modern but sometimes in doing that it’s actually a downgrade.

My personal opinion I would keep that 871 alive and kicking, if it’s demandated I would have my program checked/updated if needed, and learn to keep my truck pulling in the 1600 to 1700 rpm range and learn to drive by my boost gauge. That’s where you will see your mpgs.

Also….. I worked for Mack for 8 years, they are extremely over priced over rated trucks and if you gave me one I would tow it to the closest dealership and trade it. But once again that’s my personal opinion.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: arazdolgin
My father has run Macks since 1965 when he first started moving dirt. He has flat out said they have been the most unafordable and unreliable equipment. They were great until Volvo bailed them out. Parts availability has gone from awesom to awful. He told me one of the hardest decisions he has made was to buy a Cummins powered Peterbilt.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88
06-20-2023, (Subject: Looking for advice ) 
(06-19-2023 )Pigpen 2869 Wrote:  My father has run Macks since 1965 when he first started moving dirt. He has flat out said they have been the most unafordable and unreliable equipment. They were great until Volvo bailed them out. Parts availability has gone from awesom to awful. He told me one of the hardest decisions he has made was to buy a Cummins powered Peterbilt.

One of the hardest but the best thing he could have done. I don’t have a problem with their older stuff like the e7s and assets, he’ll even the old v8s were fun but like you said when Mack put that V on the hood it started a downhill spiral, injectors, injector cups, engine harnesses, bulll gears that’s what kept us wide open. Now some jackass thought it was intelligent to turn 3 of the injectors in to fuel pumps for the high pressure rail, that they also thought was smart to stick inside the valve cover (which also gives problems). The Swedish had some okay ideas with them but took those okay ideas and did a complete 180 and ran slap the hell away from them……. But at least it’s not a maxxforce

replyreply
06-23-2023, (Subject: Looking for advice ) 
(06-19-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  (some perspective) ...
If you cannot make that Prostar with an ISX CM871 turn at least 7+ or 8+ mpg.. then forget about anything newer!!!!.... --- something is wrong with the operations?. Perhaps the way you drive it?.. or that engine? .. and a newer truck is NOT going to be any better long term.

YOU ALREADY OWN A GSDDA#MN 9+ MPG TRUCK!!! --- WITH THE HIGHEST PROFIT MARGIN BRAND OF TRUCK IN THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY!!!...

IF IT IS NOT WORKING OUT FOR YOU.. THEN SOMETHING IS VERY VERY WRONG!!!... AND 90% OF THE TIME, IF IT IS A BAD AS YOU SAY.. IT IS HOW YOU ARE DRIVING IT, OR SOMETHING RELATED!.

ALL newer trucks and engines also have higher operating costs .. WITH ZERO FUEL OR OTHER FINANCIAL GAINS AT ALL (healthy engine and truck vs. newer healthy engine and truck) to justify the purchase. ALL the common rail engines are inherently LESS PROFITABLE over a million mile span vs a well cared for CM871.

A new truck is NOT going to fix this... but only make a whole lot of payments piled on top of the already unusually low fuel mileage that you currently suffer.

I know this quite well. I own a prostar with a CM871... and even at 1.4 million on the odometer.. it still breaks 9+ mpg with 80,000 lb coils in the box all day long.

-= MAKE WHAT YOU GOT MORE PROFITABLE.. squeeze it for all its worth. FIGURE OUT what is costing you your fuel mileage and other financial losses ... Then look and see where you are at.

I know that if I could do it ... So can the next person. It is called discipline and determination.

I have done everything to this motor possible and it still gets horrible fuel millage.
As for my driving I cruise at 62 never in a hurry always watching my pyro and boost gauges easy on the hills I've even been passed by Prime.
I'm at a complete loss.
And some work I'm looking at I will need a carb compliant truck... that doesn't excite me.
replyreply
06-23-2023, (Subject: Looking for advice ) 
(06-23-2023 )earnies2 Wrote:  I have done everything to this motor possible and it still gets horrible fuel millage.
As for my driving I cruise at 62 never in a hurry always watching my pyro and boost gauges easy on the hills I've even been passed by Prime.
I'm at a complete loss.
And some work I'm looking at I will need a carb compliant truck... that doesn't excite me.

As long as you have the right rears/tranny then your fuel mileage can be fixed. Is the truck demandated, and if so did one of the suggested people on the forum do it?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.