Helping a friend look at a new truck
06-27-2023, (Subject: Helping a friend look at a new truck ) 
Helping a friend look at a new truck
So this Saturday I’m goin to look at a 2016 t800 with a cm2350 cummins. He is working on getting all the service records for it and so far we know
DPF and DOC filters were replaced at
615K miles in 9/22
#3 liner was leaking coolant and was replaced in April of 2023 at 662K Miles.
Rods and mains and a new clutch were done at 590K miles in June of 2022.

I’m curious as to why the rods and mains were replaced already, I thought maybe fuel pump went out? But if nothing else was replaced I figured in 70k miles something bad would have happened. The truck now has 664k on it. It is all stock still. Don’t need help with looking at stuff in the truck just what all we really need to look at on engine. How to tell if fuel pump has been changed if we don’t get service records. I don’t think we are goin to be able to get the valve cover pulled his shop is full and we are goin on Saturday just to look at it with salesman.
The truck was a tanker tanker in Maine. the purchaser bought another truck from same place same fleet a few years back and the truck has been great for him besides normal issues. It had the same amount of miles on the 2013 he bought so I’d assume they just roll them after so long.
Any suggestions would be great I plan on taking my laptop to hook insite up and see what pops up. So any ideas there would be helpful too.
Thanks

User's Signature: 2010 kenworth t800 isx500hp cm871 13spd 3.55ratio
replyreply
06-27-2023, (Subject: Helping a friend look at a new truck ) 
RE: Helping a friend look at a new truck
you could not give me that engine unless it included an overhaul kit and a new head.

that engine is absolute garbage from your descriptions.

you also did not mention any of its specs that would effect its longevity like rear ratios, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Scoot5869
06-28-2023, (Subject: Helping a friend look at a new truck ) 
I had typed out pretty much the same thing when Rawze said this. With the price difference and very little extra labor to do all holes I’ve never understood replacing one liner and piston. Especially at 600,000 miles. shi#t like this is what cheap ass warranty companies force you to do.

I understand some people do want their bearings changed periodically…. It gives them piece of mind. I do a lot more than you would believe at my customers request. But someone who would only change one liner at 600,000 miles wouldn’t replace bearings as preventative maintenance.

But if he does insist to go ahead and look at it the very first thing he needs to do is look at the abuse report and regen history. Those usually tell the whole story of how a truck is maintained and driven, start the truck up and monitor fuel rail pressure then shut it off and monitor how fast it drops off. And like I said in another post. 90% of the time if anything is neglected on a truck then everything is usually neglected.

Also you can usually always look at a fuel pump and tell if it’s been replaced.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Scoot5869 , ktblogistics
13speed and 3.7 rears
I was concerned with what had and had not been done as well but I’m not buying it only offering advice what little I can lol.
What are the reasons to run. Like I said he bought their previous one and had great luck with it and it’s specked how he wants. I just want to give him solid reason he can understand of why he should avoid it. If I’m gonna be the bearer of bad news I want to be able to explain why thanks

replyreply
If #3 sunk at 600k+ .. then within a few months,MAYBE EVEN ONLY DAYS ... .. another one is going to do the same thing,if not the same damn cylinder!! .. and if a new head was not installed, then that is far worse!!

Someone barely patched it up, minimum as possible, just to get the thing to stop leaking coolant so that they could put it up for sale!!!... KNOWING FULL WELL IT IS NOW PURE GARBAGE!!!!

THIS SOUNDS EXACTLY like what a used truck stealer would do to get rid of it!!>.. = IT IS PURE TRASH!!!

IT STILL NEEDS A COMPLETE INFRAME!!!!... +++ ALL THE THINGS TO MAKE IT A MILLION MILE ENGINE AGAIN!!!.. ALL THIS STUFFS!!!..
Mentioned Here>>: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606

Also.. with 3.70 rears.. if it sunk a liner... THEN SOMEONE MOST LIKELY LUGGED THAT ENGINE BELOW 1500 RPM ITS WHOLE LIFE AND LUGGED IT TO DEATH.. BEAT THE LINERS OUT OF IT!!!.. THAT IS WHY IT FAILED TO BEGIN WITH!.

3.70's are a nice set of rears that allow you NOT to lug it to death.. so someone was purely lazy on it!. That or they PTO'd it to death at low rpm's with a hydraulic pump or something else!.
- Example: Car hauler trucks are notorious for this due to absolutely horrible PTO box gears that are waaay too tall, slapped onto the tranny, engine being tortured at 1,000 rpm's (instead of 1650rpm where it should be) while they operate the decks, etc.. and it eats the liners out of the block in half the normal expected lifespan for the engine.

PATCHING UP ONLY ONE DAMN CYLINDER GUARANTEES IT TO FAIL WITH A BLOWN HEAD GASKET RIGHT AWAY AGAIN.. AND YOUR RIGHT BACK TO WHERE I SAID.. INFRAMING IT AGAIN!!

THAT IS WHY IT IS GARBAGE!!!...

THE ENGINE NEEDS A FULL INFRAME. IT HAS NO HOPE in h#ells creation TO LAST AT ALL IF SOME CLOWN-WORLD OF A GARBAGE REPAIR SHOP ONLY PUT ONE DAMN CYLINDER / LINER / ?? IN IT!!! -- Did they even counter-bore the one cylinder and shim it back to height ?... doubtful.. BUT EVEN IF THEY DID.. , then it STILL HAS NO HOPE IN HE#LL TO LAST ANY WAYS!!! =- because they would be unable to raise the liner height!... and if they did not REPLACE THE HEAD WITH A NEW ONE TOO!!>. Then that is just like not doing anything at all!.

ADD on top of this,.. another 5 cylinders THAT ARE UNTOUCHED.-- BUT NOW HAVE BEEN DISTURBED!!!.. and it has no hope to last at all.

AND coolant in the oil system eats up an engine REALLY FAST.. LIKE SANDPAPER KINDA FAST!!!>.. SO IF THEY had to put new rod/main bearings in it.. THEN IT IS BECAUSE SOME FOOL WAS DRIVING IT AROUND WITH THE COOLANT ISSUE FOR A WHILE AND ATE THEM UP!!!.. MEANING THE HEAD AND GEAR-TRAIN BEARINGS / ALL OTHER LUBRICATED COMPONENTS ARE JUST AS BAD TOO!!...

THIS ENGINE IS A DISASTER AND SELLING IT TO SOMEONE AS YOU DESCRIBE.. IS A SCAM, SELLING IT IN THAT CONDITION AT THIS POINT!!! .THAT IS MY OPINION!!!.

DON'T WALK AWAY FROM IT.. RUN LIKE H#ELL UNLESS THEY ARE SELLING THE TRUCK FOR ONLY ABOUT 8K-12K, AND YOU HAVE THE MONEY TO INFRAME IT PROPERLY BEFORE EVEN PUTTING IT ON THE ROAD!.

OTHERWISE, SOMEONE HAS TO BE A SPECIAL KINDA DUMB (OR TOO GREEN TO KNOW ANY BETTER AT ALL) TO COME ALONG AND BUY A DISASTER OF A TRUCK LIKE THAT!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Scoot5869 , arazdolgin , ktblogistics , Bengy88
I think that will work lol. Thanks it was very informative exactly what i was hoping for. Always nice to learn things as well.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.