Camshaft failure Cummins isx15
08-05-2023, (Subject: Camshaft failure Cummins isx15 ) 
RE: Camshaft failure Cummins isx15
(08-04-2023 )JimT Wrote:  have you checked/rebuilt your fuel pump head? you didn't mention exactly which engine, but if there's only one cam then you have a common rail with the high pressure pump that is subject to failure, usually around the 400-450k mile mark (or equivalent hours in your case). They are known for sending ceramic (on the original ones) or metal debris into the oil and through the engine. chewed up cams are a common result. Plenty of info about them on this forum if you search.

No haven’t replaced fuel pump myself but it has been replace before, truck has 695k I’ve only had it since 636k it’s a Cummins ISX15.
I’m replacing camshaft/12 rockers, oil pump, oil cooler, rods and mains.
replyreply
REPLACE THE ROCKER SHAFTS !!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(08-05-2023 )RichHomie27 Wrote:  
(08-04-2023 )JimT Wrote:  have you checked/rebuilt your fuel pump head? you didn't mention exactly which engine, but if there's only one cam then you have a common rail with the high pressure pump that is subject to failure, usually around the 400-450k mile mark (or equivalent hours in your case). They are known for sending ceramic (on the original ones) or metal debris into the oil and through the engine. chewed up cams are a common result. Plenty of info about them on this forum if you search.

No haven’t replaced fuel pump myself but it has been replace before, truck has 695k I’ve only had it since 636k it’s a Cummins ISX15.
I’m replacing camshaft/12 rockers, oil pump, oil cooler, rods and mains.

Neglect and making assumptions are the biggest killers for ISX engines...

and pull that fuel pump head off while you are at it and replace its guts while you are doing all the other work if you do not know exactly how many miles/hours on the guts. They are good for 8,000 hours or 400k miles at a time .. and then the guts need replacing no matter what they look like inside.m entire engine gets destroyed with little to no warning signs otherwise.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
fuel pump head rebuild is only a few hundred bucks.

fuel pump replacement is about $4,000

new engine runs about $40,000

peace of mind that your overall investment is not going to waste, priceless.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RichHomie27
08-06-2023, (Subject: Camshaft failure Cummins isx15 ) 
Well fuel pump was replaced at 380k. I’m at 693k. Hoping it’s still good. But will have them check it. Cam got ate up from bad rocker I would say.
replyreply
(08-05-2023 )JimT Wrote:  fuel pump head rebuild is only a few hundred bucks.

Fuel pump head replacement that cheap?
replyreply
(08-06-2023 )RichHomie27 Wrote:  

It is not too expensive or difficult to replace just the guts. It would include the Tappets, Rollers, and plungers.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

the guts, as Rawze said, probably around $500. Haven't checked prices or availability in a few years though so +/-. Not sure if the entire head itself is available for replacement or if you just need a new unit at that point, not something that is usually discussed. Typically you replace the guts as a precaution BEFORE they fail, also performing the other tests to the head (If I remember off the top of my head there's a check valve inside the head that isn't replaceable if it fails). Usually after a failure there's damage to the entire pump, not just the head, and of course the rest of your engine.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(08-06-2023 )JimT Wrote:  

the guts, as Rawze said, probably around $500. Haven't checked prices or availability in a few years though so +/-. Not sure if the entire head itself is available for replacement or if you just need a new unit at that point, not something that is usually discussed. Typically you replace the guts as a precaution BEFORE they fail, also performing the other tests to the head (If I remember off the top of my head there's a check valve inside the head that isn't replaceable if it fails). Usually after a failure there's damage to the entire pump, not just the head, and of course the rest of your engine.

Okay I’ll look into it. There was a fuel pump installed at 380k im at 693k now and it was the newest version pump. Should I be as worried about it?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.