Exhaust manifold gasket leaky
10-19-2023, (Subject: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky ) 
Exhaust manifold gasket leaky
My mobile mechanic buddy was working on another person's unit, near my truck and pointed out a slight soot buildup in the turbo EGR area. He immediately diagnosed it as a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Do you have a video or thread for opening this and replacing?

I'm told there is a main or "center" gasket, and four "endcap" gaskets also. Correct my terminology as needed. This is brand new to me.

Will post pics of that engine area shortly

User's Signature: If there's anything I like better than honey and ketchup, it's baloney and whipped cream, and we haven't got any.
replyreply
RE: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky
Register your engine serial number on quickserve.com its free and you'll have access to all the service information you'll ever need.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Punchy
Thanks, will do. Other than the technical stuff, I suppose I would like anecdotal info. Once you replace these gaskets, is there anything else to examine and/or clean in the area?

User's Signature: If there's anything I like better than honey and ketchup, it's baloney and whipped cream, and we haven't got any.
replyreply
(10-19-2023 )Punchy Wrote:  Thanks, will do. Other than the technical stuff, I suppose I would like anecdotal info. Once you replace these gaskets, is there anything else to examine and/or clean in the area?

Maybe have the manifold gasket areas re-surfaced while its off?. that is what I typically do.

Also make sure the manifold is up to date with the latest TSB on it to ensure it does not break exhaust bolts. Here is some info for this:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid66592

And of course, everything needs to be properly torqued to their correct values to prevent bolts snapping under high head loads too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Punchy
10-20-2023, (Subject: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky ) 
I put a fingerprint in the soot

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
10-21-2023, (Subject: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky ) 
yup ... exhaust leak that needs to be fixed. Will make you sleepy .. less fuel mileage.. and dangerous to you and the motoring public.

Also.. why is you turbo connector not locked properly. For all anyone knows, the connector might not be seated all the way in.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Punchy
Antiseize the hell out of the manifold bolts… I always use new bolts and turbo mounting studs too, just to save the headaches a broken bolt in the head can cause when it comes off next time.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Punchy , Signature620
Gaskets and the top six bolts are ready. The six with the studs on the heads are somehow scarce where I am and are a few days away. Yes, I have been yawning the last few weeks in the seat and didn't know why. Ignorance is not bliss. Glad I ask a lot of questions.

The soot layer is a week or less old. Before it appeared I noticed the gradual power loss first, of course. Then there was a different sound to the turbo as it was overworking. Finally the hissing, usually at stoplights or while warming up, not there one day and there the next. Which made me leap out and see the deposits there. I was a thousand miles from my headquarters and limped back. Now sitting and waiting for the delivery man. Got someone knowledgeable to look over my shoulder. Will update with pics this coming week.

replyreply
10-22-2023, (Subject: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky ) 
Might want to make sure that the exhaust system is not clogging up to cause it ... otherwise, the issue might return.

Also while the intake is apart, is a good idea to check the CAC for leaks to ensure turbo is not being over-worked.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.