X15 1659 Code
11-01-2023, (Subject: X15 1659 Code ) 
X15 1659 Code
Hi Guys I have a Cummins X15 X114B giving me some injector issues. The truck runs and idles fine, it has plenty of power but I will get the message of it saying it that it's going to do a 25%
derate. The injector is brand new from Cummins, and it keeps wanting to regen so I'm also trying to see if there's an exhaust leak somewhere because I know that when these motors don't have constant exhaust pressure it'll keep wanting to regen. The only code I'm getting though is just a 1659. So far I have ran the rack and checked all the lobes on the camshaft and everything looks good. The truck has 400,000 miles on it. I'm only getting the #6 injector while all the other injectors are fine. Kind of confused because Quickserve doesn't really give me too much info on what I need to do as far as troubleshooting. My last question is it even possible to get an Injector code from an exhaust leak because of it wanting to regen? Thanks for the help!
replyreply
RE: X15 1659 Code
fault 1659 is cylinder mis-fire detected.

=== DO an injector leak test just like the video shows and replace whatever needed to ensure it will pass.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid75483

=== replace the guts of the fuel pump (tappets, rollers, plungers).. its due at 400k miles.

=== Do a throughout EGR tune-up on the engine and egr system.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid78348

=== Replace the Exhaust pressure sensor and clean out the passageway thru the thermostat housing and the hose feeding it from the manifold. - Cylinder mis-fire detection is done via this sensor and passageway.

Matter of fact.. aside from changing the pump guts(due at 8,000 hrs or 400k miles) ... all this other stuffs should be done about every 2 years. Otherwise, someone is neglecting their equipment and then wondering why they have problems.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
"Replace the Exhaust pressure sensor and clean out the passageway thru the thermostat housing and the hose feeding it from the manifold. - Cylinder mis-fire detection is done via this sensor and passageway."
Could you explain a little bit about how that works? Is it measuring and comparing the exhaust pulses as the exhaust valves open?
replyreply
Hi Rawze,

Thank you for the quick response, so it is possible that an exhaust leak can make an injector driver code active? Or a misfire? Wouldn’t it be more than just one injector? It’s been bugging me, I’m def going to start with an injector leak down test and go from there first. Just been struggling with this thing for a while. Seems like these injectors are a little More sensitive than the injectors in the ISX15s. If there’s an exhaust leak & it can trigger a misfire is new to me. But this is my first time really digging deep with these efficiency series Cummins motors.
replyreply
11-02-2023, (Subject: X15 1659 Code ) 
(11-01-2023 )DVT873 Wrote:  "Replace the Exhaust pressure sensor and clean out the passageway thru the thermostat housing and the hose feeding it from the manifold. - Cylinder mis-fire detection is done via this sensor and passageway."
Could you explain a little bit about how that works? Is it measuring and comparing the exhaust pulses as the exhaust valves open?

ECM monitors the sound waves via the sensor and compares them to the cylinder that was supposed to make them. -- yup, it actually does this.. and after-garbage exhaust pressure sensors like dorman, etc.. are notorious for throwing false cylinder mis-fire codes.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DVT873 , JimT
11-26-2023, (Subject: X15 1659 Code ) 
(11-02-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  ...
ECM monitors the sound waves via the sensor and compares them to the cylinder that was supposed to make them. -- yup, it actually does this.. and after-garbage exhaust pressure sensors like dorman, etc.. are notorious for throwing false cylinder mis-fire codes.
Wow I didn't know these efficiency series X15's were so intricate... I ended up figuring out the issue. It was the exhaust manifold tube, had exhaust coming out of the fitting, it had cracked and was just letting a bunch of exhaust come out. I also cleaned out the passage way. Reminds me of how the DD13's delta p sensors clog up
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.