PSI and OIL ratings...
09-25-2016, (Subject: PSI and OIL ratings... ) 
RE: PSI and OIL ratings...
(09-23-2016 )schISM Wrote:  ... Also I'very been looking at by-pass filters and narrowed it down to the Spinner II or Cummins centriguard. Anybody have experience with either of these on an ISX without doing the oil shim fix for higher pressure?

I have not installed a Spinner II yet, but I will when I've got some time at home. I have shimmed my oil pump, and run just over 40psi with Rotella and 1 gal of Sta-Lube. Long version of No I haven't on an ISX.

I have however ran Spinner II's on all my previous Series 60's and like them very much. On my last S60, I used my gram/oz scale and measured and recorded the tare weight of the centrifugal cartridge, then when the time came to clean and replace the paper liner I'd weigh it dirty and subtract the tare to measure the actual weight of material removed by the Spinner. I bought that truck used with about 300k miles on it. I installed the Spinner before I put it to work. After four years/a little over 400k miles, the total sum of all material removed by the Spinner was just a few oz over 3 lbs! I'm like Rawze, I like measurable results, and I found an rough average of 3/4 of pound per 100k miles was about what it removed.

Ymmv, but I am a believer in these things. I just recently shimmed my oil pump which is why I haven't yet installed it. Cummins stock oil pressure is not high enough to properly drive the centrifuge...the metal one that I have. I think 45-47 psi will drive it sufficiently.
I've heard Spinner made one with a plastics centrifuge so the lower pressure will drive it, but I have no experience with that model.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
PSI and OIL ratings... - Rawze - 09-23-2016,
RE: PSI and OIL ratings... - Hammerhead - 09-25-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.