PSI and OIL ratings...
09-25-2016, (Subject: PSI and OIL ratings... ) 
RE: PSI and OIL ratings...
(09-23-2016 )schISM Wrote:  For anybody interested the listing of oils has been updated as of September 17th. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06...t-ranking/
What I found interesting was the "new" Mobil one European 0w40 with the "fs" on the bottle beat out every other oil he has tested straight out of the bottle.
I just purchased 55 qts. From Wal-Mart to give it a try. Also I'very been looking at by-pass filters and narrowed it down to the Spinner II or Cummins centriguard. Anybody have experience with either of these on an ISX without doing the oil shim fix for higher pressure?

OK,schiSM now that îs a totally different game about anti wear old additives i.e. Zinc/phosphor or lack thereof in the new age

Although 95% of the oil tests are car oils is still interesting 1 hour read...tnx

Now who's gonna brake the ice and send that guy a sample of rotella T with 10% sta lube for the community's piece of mind...
replyreply
(09-25-2016 )T680 Wrote:  Now who's gonna brake the ice and send that guy a sample of rotella T with 10% sta lube for the community's piece of mind...

Tell me where to find his contact info and address and I will send him a sample ASAP!
I'd love to see the results. When I get back home I'll be due for an oil change and will be sending in a sample. I was going to send two at the same time; "used" and a "virgin" sample for a baseline to compare to, so why not just make up a second "virgin" to send to him at the same time???

excuse the spelling mistakes, I'm way deep into the beer

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Don't know him. Just replied to what schiSM member post the link ...
But sure can be found and contacted.
replyreply
10-24-2016, (Subject: PSI and OIL ratings... ) 
(09-25-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(09-23-2016 )schISM Wrote:  ... Also I'very been looking at by-pass filters and narrowed it down to the Spinner II or Cummins centriguard. Anybody have experience with either of these on an ISX without doing the oil shim fix for higher pressure?

I have not installed a Spinner II yet, but I will when I've got some time at home. I have shimmed my oil pump, and run just over 40psi with Rotella and 1 gal of Sta-Lube. Long version of No I haven't on an ISX.

I have however ran Spinner II's on all my previous Series 60's and like them very much. On my last S60, I used my gram/oz scale and measured and recorded the tare weight of the centrifugal cartridge, then when the time came to clean and replace the paper liner I'd weigh it dirty and subtract the tare to measure the actual weight of material removed by the Spinner. I bought that truck used with about 300k miles on it. I installed the Spinner before I put it to work. After four years/a little over 400k miles, the total sum of all material removed by the Spinner was just a few oz over 3 lbs! I'm like Rawze, I like measurable results, and I found an rough average of 3/4 of pound per 100k miles was about what it removed.

Ymmv, but I am a believer in these things. I just recently shimmed my oil pump which is why I haven't yet installed it. Cummins stock oil pressure is not high enough to properly drive the centrifuge...the metal one that I have. I think 45-47 psi will drive it sufficiently.
I've heard Spinner made one with a plastics centrifuge so the lower pressure will drive it, but I have no experience with that model.

I have taken an air gun from my cab and ran the air into a spinner ii the newer style HE model, and that makes it spin so fast I have to stop it before it runs away from me. I forgot to mention the new HE style spinners require an 1/4 inch air line to spin the cartridge I believe.
replyreply
10-24-2016, (Subject: PSI and OIL ratings... ) 
(10-24-2016 )Jarhead79 Wrote:  I have taken an air gun from my cab and ran the air into a spinner ii the newer style HE model, and that makes it spin so fast I have to stop it before it runs away from me. I forgot to mention the new HE style spinners require an 1/4 inch air line to spin the cartridge I believe.

Update: My 996 is now installed from above.
Jarhead, the air supply DOES NOT drive the centrifuge. Oil supply pressure does.
The air supply needs to be connected, not for drive, but there is a float in the lower portion of the unit. When the float rises, it opens air flow to assist in oil return. If you do not have the air supply connected, the oil is building up in the lowere portion of the body causing drag on the centrifuge. Therefore not allowing the bowl to spin at proper speeds thus it will not do an effective job of separating the solids from the oil. It should spin at over 4000rpm, and 6500 or more is even more effective.
When you "have taken an air gun from my cab and ran the air into a spinner ii the newer style HE model, and that makes it spin so fast I have to stop it before it runs away from me...", you are actually causing it to be driven at PROPER speeds, not run away.
Read the installation/owners manual carefully. Here is the Install/Service instructions for mine. Note Page 4 where it tells how to check correct operation of the air float in the lower portion.
http://www.spinnerii.com/files/comm_id_3...033115.pdf
Here is the flyer, note on page 2 the bottom portion is called "Level Control"
http://www.spinnerii.com/files/comm_id_3...120209.pdf

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.