CM870 liner failure
12-04-2023, (Subject: CM870 liner failure ) 
RE: CM870 liner failure
(12-04-2023 )CornHauler Wrote:  .. But I did have my machine shop reman the head.

I guess he only wanted the rebuild it to last a couple years any ways with that garbage head.

- Even if you did not have issues, you would have been doing a head replacement in a couple years again any ways, and spending a lot of $$$ all over again.

Cummins heads are a throw-away item after the first 435,000 miles of use. 4 out of 5 will fail a proper whole-head magnaflux (with a very large machine). All those stupid machine shops do is ... is mostly REMOVE MATERIAL.. Shave some off of it to make it look all pretty again .. or if your lucky, they might attempt to build up the valve seats with some chromium or something,.,. and it will not last but about 2-3 years.. and then pour some diesel into the ports to se if the valves are leaky after machining everything down and call it a day. - Its half-arssed at best!.

There is only one way to properly build back up the casting .. (with a multi-million dollar iron-gas chamber laser machine) .. and no 'machine shop' otherwise is going to be worth a f$u3ck stick for any of this!.

Save yourself the headaches and (and severe failure possibilities) in the future.. ONLY GO WITH OEM HEADS!!! and other internals. - You are wasting your time and moneys otherwise instead.

BTW: if it was indeed an injector cup failure and the cylinder flooded.. and that is what took it out (very possible).. is that 'machine shop' going to warranty this and buy you a new head, overhaul kit, etc??.

Are they going to make your engine whole again?. - I seriously doubt it.

Its called 'jumping over $40,000 dollars to save a few bucks' .. and that is certainly NOT worth it. It has been seen time and again around here.

When someone leaves something to 'chance', then 'chance' is what they quite often get. Hopefully this was not your issue .. no one wants to see someone's engine fail like that. It is sad indeed, however, without bringing failures like this and their causes to light, it helps prevent someone else in the future someone from suffering the same fate.

We are all here throwing possibilities out there, to try and understand the failure, so that no one else has to suffer this same fate.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
There was also no mention if this engine has a delete program in the ecm or not too. If it does then it needs to be copied out and e-mailed to me for a proper review of what someone did in there.

Also,
What was the boost peaking at in a hard pull?.
What were the oil temps getting up to in a hard pull?.
What were the EGT's getting to?.
What were the oil pressures running at idle after fully warmed up?... and while pulling hard?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-04-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  There was also no mention if this engine has a delete program in the ecm or not too. If it does then it needs to be copied out and e-mailed to me for a proper review of what someone did in there.

Also,
What was the boost peaking at in a hard pull?.
What were the oil temps getting up to in a hard pull?.
What were the EGT's getting to?.
What were the oil pressures running at idle after fully warmed up?... and while pulling hard?.

It was demandated when I bought it several years ago. I had Running Rough redo the program when we rebuilt after reading about it on this forum. It was running 34-35 lbs boost when we did the program but I can't tell you what EGTs and oil temps were running as I had a driver running it. The driver is generally a pretty decent driver but he may have been using it up to. It is all short haul work so I can keep an eye on how they are driving. I had shimmed the new oil pump when we did the rebuild. It has the variable turbo on it and coolers and everything still attached and I replaced all the sensors when we rebuilt it.
replyreply
(12-04-2023 )CornHauler Wrote:  I can't tell you what EGTs and oil temps were running as I had a driver running it.

You could look at the abuse history to see if the oil temp got out of hand.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
It is also possible that you had a part failure. I'm sure we ALL know that quality control has gone to absolute SH*T lately, even on oem parts. Could have just been a faulty part. Could have been any of the reasons listed above as well.
replyreply
12-05-2023, (Subject: CM870 liner failure ) 
I'm hoping you meant .014-.015 and not .0014-.0015 on liner height??
replyreply
Yes .014-.015...... fourteen to fifteen thousandths

replyreply
(12-05-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  Yes .014-.015...... fourteen to fifteen thousandths

Yes, but the OP said .0014-.0015.
replyreply
Oh I see what you mean. Maybe he just didn't know how many zero's to put in lol.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.