N14 ecm flash problems
12-16-2023, (Subject: N14 ecm flash problems ) 
RE: N14 ecm flash problems
(12-16-2023 )windowrattler Wrote:  I've bricked every celect plus ecm I've flashed in truck. I've also had 100% success flashing celect plus ecms.

Every time it "bricks". To rom boot it you disconnect the batteries for 5-10 minutes. Reconnect batteries. Key on for 5 seconds. Key off and connect to the truck with insite with the key off. It should be in rom boot when it connects. . Select calibration in insite and flash it with the key off. Sometimes I've had to do the procedure a few times to get it to rom boot. I'll try and find the actual document for it.

that sounds a bit sus to me. Maybe if the ecm only went into rom-boot?. I would think however that this would be pointless if the ecm actually bricked, as there is no mechanism it this key-switch dance procedure (or wiring harness for the engine) that will actually trigger the special 'rom-boot pin' properly on the face of that ecm.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kiko
I could be off on my terminology a little bit between bricked/rom boot it's been a little while.

My very first time flashing any cummins hd ecm was a n14 that we did an out of frame and built the engine as a higher hp cpl. The flash failed and I was stuck with an ecm that had no comm and no start. 8-10 hours later and doing a lot of digging the procedure I listed above did flash it. I haven't done a ton of the older ecms but every time with the older n14s and even one m11 I've had the flash fail and this weird battery disconnect key dance thingy has worked. It's free to try.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kiko
Well Mr windowrattler I tried your battery disconnect key dance and wow it worked. Had to use j1708 like you said but it hooked up and was able to accept the new cal. Truck fired up and all is working ok. I had a lot of trouble with this unit as my insite is v8 so any incal files would not go through it. I had to get a unpacker and transfer them through it first. I really appreciate everyone’s help especially the key dance. I’m still in awe that it worked. Like rawze said it should not have worked because the boot pin was not powered up. Maybe some way with these old celects the key dance does just that. Again thanks.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , schISM
Awesome to hear! It's weird to flash with the key off. I can't really explain the reasoning on why it works, just that it does.
replyreply
12-17-2023, (Subject: N14 ecm flash problems ) 
(12-16-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-16-2023 )windowrattler Wrote:  I've bricked every celect plus ecm I've flashed in truck. I've also had 100% success flashing celect plus ecms.

Every time it "bricks". To rom boot it you disconnect the batteries for 5-10 minutes. Reconnect batteries. Key on for 5 seconds. Key off and connect to the truck with insite with the key off. It should be in rom boot when it connects. . Select calibration in insite and flash it with the key off. Sometimes I've had to do the procedure a few times to get it to rom boot. I'll try and find the actual document for it.

that sounds a bit sus to me. Maybe if the ecm only went into rom-boot?. I would think however that this would be pointless if the ecm actually bricked, as there is no mechanism it this key-switch dance procedure (or wiring harness for the engine) that will actually trigger the special 'rom-boot pin' properly on the face of that ecm.

Finally someone teaches an old dog a new trick !

I took a screenshot just in case
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-17-2023, (Subject: N14 ecm flash problems ) 
Don't worry I'm keeping score. Me 2 pts Rawze 3728 pts. Give me another decade or two and I might catch up to Rawze.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Aleeex

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.