Injector cam bearings
12-14-2023, (Subject: Injector cam bearings ) 
Injector cam bearings
Bought a new truck at auction recently. Previous owner sold due to cancer. We knew about some oil leaks before purchase. While going through things discovered number 1 injector rocker roller had pretty severe damage. Need to run this truck as my other truck is down with severe issues.

I have all necessary gaskets, a new injector cam, bearings, rockers. I know this is going to most likely need an overhaul in the near future, but am out of funds. Anything special we need to do when installing the bearings and cam? We’ve done cams in the past but not in Cummins of this size.

Engine had good oil pressure, nevertheless bought a new pump that we plan to shim.    
replyreply
RE: Injector cam bearings
that is almost always caused by oil starvation of the top-end. It is the results when you don;t replace the crank case filter often enough.. or don't use a maintenance-free one.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thank you for the quick reply Rawze. Anything special that needs to be done when installing the new bushings? Bought all oem parts. Crankcase filter being replaced as well
replyreply
You did not mention what kind of engine. I can only assume it is a CM871 or CM870 with that style of injector cam.

cam, rockers, and rocker shafts as a start.

Rod/Main bearings.

oil changes at short intervals (3-5k miles) until all that nasty gunk is cleared up.

and if it is de-mandated, then copying the program out of the ecm and e-mailing it to me for review to ensure it is not harmful.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thank you for the quick reply Rawze. Anything special that needs to be done when installing the new bushings? Bought all oem parts. Crankcase filter being replaced as well
replyreply
(12-14-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  You did not mention what kind of engine. I can only assume it is a CM871 or CM870 with that style of injector cam.

cam, rockers, and rocker shafts as a start.

Rod/Main bearings.

oil changes at short intervals (3-5k miles) until all that nasty gunk is cleared up.

and if it is de-mandated, then copying the program out of the ecm and e-mailing it to me for review to ensure it is not harmful.

Cm871
Going to check rod/main bearing while pan is off.
Planning to copy program when batteries are hooked back up.
replyreply
(12-14-2023 )jesse24spd Wrote:  Thank you for the quick reply Rawze. Anything special that needs to be done when installing the new bushings? Bought all oem parts. Crankcase filter being replaced as well

Are you talking about changing the cam bearings in the head? If the cam bearings are wore out then so is the head and it's time to replace it and do a full inframe.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(12-14-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  
(12-14-2023 )jesse24spd Wrote:  Thank you for the quick reply Rawze. Anything special that needs to be done when installing the new bushings? Bought all oem parts. Crankcase filter being replaced as well

Are you talking about changing the cam bearings in the head? If the cam bearings are wore out then so is the head and it's time to replace it and do a full inframe.

Yes changing the cam bearings in the head. No they are not worn out, but installing new cam and other related parts to get by till I can afford the inframe. I’m out of money and need this truck to make some to cover those repairs.

I’ve always b en told change bearings when changing cam and that’s what we’ve always done on other engines.
replyreply
I wouldn't do bearing unless they don't meet the conditions for reuse which on that engine is copper showing more then 180degrees around bushing. There may not be enough room for the tooling depending on how close the firewall is. They also need to have the oil galleys lines up perfectly as you cam carries the oil. If the bushings are worn out I would change the head which would probably lead to an in-frame if you wanted to avoid having to do it again in a shorter time. If the bushings are okay just replace the cam.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.