2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue?
02-04-2024, (Subject: 2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue? ) 
RE: 2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue?
(02-03-2024 )steeldck Wrote:  That Pump had 650k on it for Miles. Im trying to find out if he took the pump apart. I know the ones ive seen had been worn, like the cam and rollers had some wear spots in them, havent seen or heard of one exploding pieces into the engine though. This truck ran just fine on the way to the shop to get it checked out, like I said, the problem was intermittent from the get go, even before the fuel pump was replaced.
I took the pump back to the parts stealer for the core charge, I should check to see if its still there, pull the head
Rebuilding or replacing a fuel pump on a rig with 400k on it, seems a bit fugged to me.

Everything that tree98 said is 100% certifiable and valid!.

YES.. THAT PUMP needs it guts replaced every 400k miles (or 8,000 hours) to prevent the VERY WELL KNOWN fuel pump of total engine destruction scenario... and the 559 fault is the only indication that the pump has failed and is now destroying your entire engine internally.

-== so.. THIS IS NOT FUGGED, OR SUS !!!... THIS IS REALITY!!.

I read your posts and they point out something obvious.

You keep saying they are doing injector performance tests .. those tests are useless and always have been. This shows the lack of skill by whoever is working on that thing. It also shows a serious lack of skill by whomever rebuilt it too, as they should have pulled that fuel pump apart during the inframe with 650k miles on it.. inspected it, and replaced its guts as part of the process.

It looks to me like you have put way too much faith in whoever rebuilt it and whoever is working on it. This is not good, as your own posts show clear signs that they are beyond clueless!.

Let me guess.. Is this (or the rebuild done) at an OEM shop? or at a stealersH$it?.. because that is where you find such clueless people the most?. Those OEM facilities are the most clueless and the most under-trained of all places these days.. but a lot of non-oe shops are just as guilty too.

so.. your posts imply heavily a few serious mistakes ...

mistake#1...
When the engine was inframed.. THAT FUEL PUMP should have been rebuilt as part of it too, this especially if it was determined that it had more than 400k miles of run time on it. This shows a serious lack of knowledge for the ISX and its well known weakness of that pump.

mistake#2 ...
DID ANYONE do a proper rail leak-down test on the engine after it was put back together .. then run enough to get the air out of the fuel system + brought up to temp once?. -- NOT LIKELY,, AND STILL LIKELY HAS NOT BEEN DONE!!!.

- According to your posts, they blindly replaced the pressure relief valve.. and this mysteriously made less '559' codes?. THIS IS A CLEAR SIGN that no one bothered to do any sort of rail leak testing NEITHER DURING OR AFTER THE INFRAME LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE!!!.. BUT ALSO NOT EVEN AFTER THERE WERE PROBLEMS!.

DO A PROPER INJECTOR LEAK TEST ON IT!... FIND OUT WHAT THE ACTUAL LEAK RATE IS IN ONE MINUTE when the rail is brought up to the full 30,000 PSI pressure!. here is how to do it...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid75483

For all anyone knows.. it could still be failing badly due to some idiot moron mechanic installing the quell tubes for the injectors incorrectly, or by using a damn speed-gun on them, and/or not torquing them properly.

How much you want to bet that pressure drops below 25,000 psi on one minute?.-- THAT IS HOW YOU CHECK IT FOR BAD INJECTORS!.. instead of throwing moneys at it like a fool.

mistake#3 ..
NO ONE pulling that pump apart as soon as that 559 code was seen. When the fuel pump fails and starts destroying the engine.. the only codes that is seen is usually that 559 code and not much more. Driving it against a failed pump destroys the entire engine in only a few days whenever that pump fails. - IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST PRIORITY as soon as that code poped up. - Again.. complete incompetences and improper training on that mechanics part for 'REPLACING IT ON A GUESS' and now no one knows if it was destroying the engine internally or not. NO ONE took it apart to see if it was failing.. and to replace its guts if it looked good!. This also wasted a LOT of moneys if it was not the issue. Frankly.. it should have had its guts changed out as standard procedure DURING THE INFRAME!... but even so.. its guts should have been changed out as soon as that code was seen.. just because its over-due!.

^^ Incompetence at its best there.^^

mistake#4 ...
You say its de-mandated. - This is the biggest killer of lifespan for these red engines.. because more than 90% of all 'delete' programming is absolutely harmful. This should have been addressed DURING THE INFRAME to ensure that the engines failure was not premature. This is to protect that investment of rebuilding it from another possible premature failure.

so.. you need to COPY THE PROGRAM from the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review of what someone did in there. That way you can sleep at night knowing that the programming isn't eating the internals to an agonizing death and it needing another inframe in a few years or so again.

and lastly.. WHAT DID THEY SET THE LINER HEIGHT TO WHEN THEY COUNTER-BORED IT during the inframe?. Did they even counter-bore it>? -- That is another VERY important question, as most shops these days are beyond incompetent for rebuilding ISX's..,a and if they made the mistakes with the rail and fuel pump.. what other mistakes were made?.

Sounds to me like you are going to learn the hard way how to properly own an ISX. - there are so many problems with them because people who own them do not know any better and trust a network of incompetent idiots who are clueless,..and a moron around every street corner with a 'delete' file to shove into it that shortened the life of the engine by half or less.

They don't find these things out until its far too late and they are right where you are... with a lot of headaches, lots of wasted moneys, half-arsed in-frames (oem's being the most guilty), and a lot of aggravation.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Well, thanks for your insight fellas, its appreciated. As if I couldn't be sicker about these 2 rigs, it's a damm shame.
It's a shame, I consider my self knowledgeable to this business, obviously had no idea I had to literally be smarter than, and more Informed, than some of the shops I've delt with in the past.

{garbage-can remarks removed by Rawze}
wait, where is a fella supposed to get all this information that you guys have? Just past experiences? I feel like a guy that's never owned a rig or never ran a Business here
replyreply
(02-04-2024 )steeldck Wrote:  Well, thanks for your insight fellas, its appreciated. As if I couldn't be sicker about these 2 rigs, it's a damm shame.
It's a shame, I consider my self knowledgeable to this business, obviously had no idea I had to literally be smarter than, and more Informed, than some of the shops I've delt with in the past.

wait, where is a fella supposed to get all this information that you guys have? Just past experiences? I feel like a guy that's never owned a rig or never ran a Business here

i completely agree that the things I mentioned above should have been part of someone's training ... but instead, its shortcut city, throw parts at it, assume instead of investigate. etc.etc. ... and onto the next engine (victim) ... that is what you get instead.

My forum would not exist if these engines just ran as advertised. It would not exist if people were not plagued with emissions issues .. putting them out of business and/or destitute because of sh$itty EGR and aftertreatment designs. It also would not exist if the repair industry could do things right... and people actually got their trucks fixed 100% properly... by actual knowledgeable, caring, professional people.

Its a sad day when you ask the guy digging on the inside of your engine .. who has done hundreds of them by now.. what the tolerance or backlash for a bearing clearance or what specific bolt torque should be for a non-critical component .. and he has to go look it up.. or gives you an argument instead.

Its a sad day indeed when you are talking to an OEM certified mechanic to ask him what the leak down rate on the fuel rail was from 30,000 psi .. and he does not even know how to do the test properly... nor has ever done it properly.

Its a sad day when your asking if you have leaky injectors on your CM871.. and the mechanic says "we would have to send them off to an injector shop to have that tested" kind of bulls$it to you as a response. Also, they don't even own the injector leak test block to test the injectors without removing them that anyone can find off Amazon!. https://amzn.to/3SpM6rk

And ... Its a sad day when a truck owner comes onto my forum here and says that 'the mechanic' just replaced a $4,000 fuel pump, and did not even bother to find out if it was bad or not... and on top of that.. DID NOT EVEN DO the proper tests and inspections needed for that 559 code.

This stuffs is COMMON KNOWLEDGE and is well known these days. It is not just some back-water redneck form Georgia named Rawze's opinions. They are examples of a a serious lack training and proper care/procedures etc. in the repair and trucking industry as a whole.

============
Here is how that inframe should have been done...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606

These red engines are a double edged sword.

Ignore them and let everyone else work on them.. and its at a truck owners peril and frustration in the end.

Think of them like a red-headed step-child. Ignore them even a little bit and its nothing but problems.. but give them lots of attention .. do all the things they need.. and they are the best thing that you will own.

Owning them long term is a learning experience for sure.. and yeah.. the truck owner is the one that eventually has to learn all these things. This happens either thru research, or the hard way when things go sideways. That is the sad state of affairs on how it is in trucking these days... and all the added complexity of these modern engines.

The whole repair industry around trucks is in as bad a shape as it can be these days too. It started going south when the emissions engines became the norm.. the OEM started paying the mechanics like they were salesman (the more jobs u can do in a day = more pay, go,go,go) instead paying them to take the time to care.. and forcing them to use procedures that dictate they replace $$$$ parts first, and use methods that maximized profits for them instead of caring for the customers. - It is sad indeed.. and now combine that with GEN-z, ansd GenX being so damn lazy and speed-gun happy.. not caring about much more than 'get it done and out' and onto the next.. that is has gotten way out of hand.

The entire advantage... and its only advantage for owning a red engine .. is that you can work on it yourself.. you can get all the tools and even the software, manuals, etc.. all for yourself. This is their only advantage, otherwise they are just as problematic as any other newer brand of engine out there. If someone does not take advantage of this and learn to work on it.. or at least know what is supposed to be done properly.. then it is at their own loss and frustration.

If someone only want to 'drive their truck' and take it somewhere else for most medium to minor repairs.. they need to lease perpetually and 'call the dealer' .. and go sit on that couch whenever its being worked on.. and turn that truck back in before the warranty is up..rinse and repeat.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(02-04-2024 )steeldck Wrote:  where is a fella supposed to get all this information that you guys have?

This site your on is the #1 source for consistent truthful fact based information in regards to cummins ISX engines. No other site even comes close!!

Just start reading and asking questions. Ya I know, you got other things to do and can't sit around reading forums all day, I get it. But if you want to be successful with today's emmission controlled engines you have to take it upon yourself to learn the ins and outs of these engines.

You might think you made a mistake buying cummins, but actually it was the smartest thing you could have done. Like Rawze said, you can buy the cummins software and inline adapter for about $300, open a free quickserve account and now you have access to all the exact same information the dealers have, all parts breakdowns/part numbers, all service procedures with torque specs, all diagnostic tests, etc.

There is a short list of rules you need to live by if you have an ISX, in no particular order....

1...don't lug them down below 1500 RPM this is what causes liner failures and premature inframes.

2... don't use aftermarket parts on them, use genuine cummins only

3... set the overhead about every 200k miles and make sure you are using a maintenance free crankcase filter to eliminate backpressure that starves the cams for oil.

4... if the emmission system is still active you need to do an egr tuneup about every year to keep the system operating properly.

5... if you have a common rail isx, replace fuel pump guts every 400k miles to prevent catastrophic engine failure.

6... if it's demandated, send a copy of the file to Rawze for review because it's most likely a bad program and will result in very premature engine failure and lots of headaches leading up to that.

7... when it's inframe time, do all the extra stuff mentioned on this site ( can get into those details another time)

Maybe a missed 1 or 2 but those are the big ones.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
{post removed by Rawze}
replyreply
02-05-2024, (Subject: 2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue? ) 
(02-04-2024 )steeldck Wrote:  {post removed by Rawze}

This person has been banned to save them from embarrassing themselves further. The forum exists for people to help better themselves, their trucking business, and to keep the more modern equipment profitable. If you are only here to mostly complain instead.. then you do not belong on here taking a constant dump on everything said. It stinks like someone who does not bother to flush the toilet at the public bathrooms...and I don't know about anyone else.. but I think its rude and shows a clear lack or character.

Go back over to social medai where that stuff belongs and is praised by all the bot algorithms for as many 'likes' and 'views' as it can squeeze out of you instead.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.