X15 Engine
02-10-2024, (Subject: X15 Engine ) 
X15 Engine
I have a Cummins x15 engine 424k on miles

When I’m driving and let go of the gas the turbo makes the spooling noise and it feels like the engine brake is on and it slows down but my engine brake is off

When the truck is idling 600rpm the engine is real shaky the power steering reservoir shakes like crazy but they I take the idle up to 700-750 rpm the shaking stops

I suspect I have a coolant leak somewhere
They discover green moisture on my valve cover and I saw green moisture inside the walls area the mechanic said it could be condensation
Where the engine oil tube is inside is wet water
Coolant is getting low after I drained all of the coolant so I had to top it off to cold max level in the morning but I cold start my truck once a week haven’t drove it in weeks it’s still down to minimum cold don’t know if that’s normal

Valve adjustment was done on my truck and the guy screw up didn’t do it correctly valve cover gasket starting leaking bad had to do it again and took it to a different mechanic they discovered one valve was really loose so they said they fixed it but the guy did it so fast I don’t think he knew the measurements on my Cummins x15 I saw they have the measurements on the engine cover but I’m still having this ticking noise I have to re check it for the third time.

I want to pull the abuse history on my truck and have someone take a look at it
replyreply
RE: X15 Engine
The only times that I have seen signs of green moisture buildup, green sludge at oil cap, crank case filter, inside engine cover + a bit of coolant loss ... it was always a sign of a head gasket seeping/starting to fail.

The proper way to find/test head/gasket is to drop the oil pan (and stiffening plate) off of engine and pressurize the coolant system to 20-psi over night using a coolant pressure test kit.

- Then the next day, look for any drops of coolant on the bottom of the engine mixed in with oil near the bottom of the pistons, bottom and inside walls of the liners, etc. with a nice bright flashlight.

- If it is only seeping a bit then it can be hard to spot ... However, after it has sat over night with pressure on the coolant system, oil pan off of it, if you have someone turn the engine by hand with a large wrench, and listen to each cylinder as it starts to hiss on a compression stroke while your laying up under the engine .. if there is a head gasket issue then that cylinder will "gurgle" a bit as it comes up and you can see a few drops of coolant sneaking out around the rings as it does this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
RE: X15 Engine
I would check Egr first. Pull intake pipe at manifold see if it's wet if it wet your erg is leaking. Replace it. If not just replace map sensor. Then pull out the crank case filter and check it out. Replace it also and retest .
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.