new alternator
02-20-2024, (Subject: new alternator ) 
new alternator
I recently replaced my ProStar's alternator. The old one only had a positive terminal on it. This one has that big terminal for the positive wire, but it also has 2 smaller terminals on it. When I first installed it, it wasn't charging the batteries. I installed a small jumper from the positive to the top small terminal and it worked.

I can't seem to find how this should be properly wired, without reading books worth of info on the net. It seems like this might be the incorrect alternator, as those other small terminals are for wires that run to the truck.

Now that I'm at home in my driveway, away from noisy truckstops, I can hear a very quiet buzzing coming from the alternator. It went away when that jumper is disconnected. Do I need to run a new wire from that top little terminal to a "key on" positive source instead of using a 2 inch jumper?

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202402/post_1783_1708466257_25267e13931f1db3e74d51a3a413d379.jpg
replyreply
RE: new alternator
The Large top post is the B+ to the battery, Then the "R" terminal is for operating a relay to illuminate a charge indicator, etc....The "I" terminal is to illuminate charge warning lamp on the dash, the last bolt at the very bottom is for a ground cable. This model does not use any remote sensing wire,
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
Found a picture that illustrates the wiring on that alt.

./uploads/202402/post_1037_1708472142_36c480a257b4e67098c10f69050f21d2.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2
02-21-2024, (Subject: new alternator ) 
I can't explain why that jumper made it work, or maybe it was just a time thing until my low batteries started showing voltage increase.

I disconnected that jumper in my driveway, and forgot to reconnect it. Alternator worked fine without it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.