Fan clutch issues
03-16-2024, (Subject: Fan clutch issues ) 
Fan clutch issues
T680 cm2350
I've got air leaking from my fan clutch again I just replaced it 4/23/23 about 100k miles ago...before that I got about the same mileage timeframe out of the one before this one.

It's a Horton 2 stage...first one shop installed this one I installed...both were full kits with bearings.

Just wondering what the hell is going on why aren't these things lasting 500-700k miles like they should.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
RE: Fan clutch issues
My truck takes the simple Borg werner one. - I have only had to replace it once in 1.4 million miles.. though it does get sticky after the truck sits in the rain for a few days .. and I have to smack it around a bit to free it up on occasion ...lol. - but it does not leak any air.

Maybe investigate what part of it is failing exactly?.

and is the fan itself balanced well?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The Horton is like the borg one just uses Eddy currents to drive the fan when not engaged hence the two speed speed rating.

As far as fan balance I'm unsure there is no damage to the fan that I'm aware of.

I can slightly slow the air leak by grabbing the fan and pushing/pulling one side forward/backward there's no real movement in the fan when doing this but it changes the air flow.

so I would say the leak is from the clutch internals not from the carbon seal area.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(03-16-2024 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  T680 cm2350
I've got air leaking from my fan clutch again I just replaced it 4/23/23 about 100k miles ago...before that I got about the same mileage timeframe out of the one before this one.

It's a Horton 2 stage...first one shop installed this one I installed...both were full kits with bearings.

Just wondering what the hell is going on why aren't these things lasting 500-700k miles like they should.
Around 9 minutes in he talks about a quad seal having a specific orientation. Could that be it? Have talked to Horton one or two times over the years. They were helpful. 800-621-1320
https://youtu.be/HK8j9S4nlLs?si=qISSE-K3PSOruraF there are some other vids out there also.
replyreply
I never had a any luck when having a shop rebuild mine in the past, in regards to longevity. The last one i installed and it actually lasted was from (a repair company) and it was purchased at a much better price than the Stealerships.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
I don't know which clutch you have, but mine went a couple times over the past few years. First one, a Horton, started leaking air, turned out the o-ring failed. If I knew I might have been able to just replace the o-ring. Oh well. Peterbilt gave me a Borg Warner 1090-09650-01 to replace it but that one only lasted a year before the clutch itself stopped grabbing. So, last year I replaced that one with a new Horton Klondike K32 Rear Air 9908504. Unlike the Borg Warner, the Horton came with some replacement parts and the clutch wear surfaces can be replaced while still mounted in the truck. It was a few bucks more, but in my opinion well worth it. And just for reference, I only rack up about 70,000mi / year with minimal idling and maybe 2 months with occasional A/C usage each summer (I like the heat... until outside temps hit about 92-93).

Edit: To be fair, the Borg Warner actually last about a year and a half, installed 1/27/2022, replaced 7/31/2023

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
03-18-2024, (Subject: Fan clutch issues ) 
The kit I used and the shop used wasn't a seal kit it was the assembled clutch unit along with the carbon seal and hub bearings. So the quad seal and face seals were asse
mbled by Horton.

replyreply
03-19-2024, (Subject: Fan clutch issues ) 
i had similar issues out of the Horton 2 speed that was on my lonestar i rebuilt it twice because it was leaking when the fan was disengaged. the 2nd time it started leaking i was just west of Rawlins Wyoming and and didn't know until the fan stopped working it was partially engaged and ruined the clutch material. long story short i bought a kit masters two speed fan clutch because it was what was available the same day and that one has been in for 4 years now with no issues. I wish i could tell you what was causing the issues with the horton but i cant
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.