Wiring harness
04-07-2024, (Subject: Wiring harness ) 
Wiring harness
So I have a 2008 Prostar that's here to stay so I'm always looking to upgrade things. Mine is the base model and I see that the more loaded models have things like oil, transmission, front and rear different temperature gauges. Also dump valves and fog lights. I know that I can simply add stuff like this but it would be nice for it to look factory. So the question is are all the Prostars wired for this stuff but you just have to dig it from the harness somewhere? I have a friend that there kenworth is like that. I have found a few 2008-10s with the ISX in my local salvage yard that are the really loaded ones and I like the dash and gauges set up. I think it would be a great upgrade but not trying to reinvent the wheel, lol.
replyreply
RE: Wiring harness
diff gauges are a waste of time. Boost and pyro are far more important.

also, if the cabin controller is not set up for it, then the factory gauges are not going to work out.

Going aftermarket for the boost and pyro is best any ways. That way there will not be any 3-secnods delay on the boost, and the engine provides only a 'calculated' pyro vs. an aftermarket gauge that has its own actual sensor.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(04-07-2024 )Rawze Wrote:  diff gauges are a waste of time. Boost and pyro are far more important.

also, if the cabin controller is not set up for it, then the factory gauges are not going to work out.

Going aftermarket for the boost and pyro is best any ways. That way there will not be any 3-secnods delay on the boost, and the engine provides only a 'calculated' pyro vs. an aftermarket gauge that has its own actual sensor.
I have boost and pyro, I installed the ones that you talked about years ago. I was just liking the others and keeping it a clean look. I figured I would have to have the controller programed. Would they have to go into the ECM? It has your tune and I won't let anyone mess with that. It's been over three years since Allison built the motor and she has been a champ. Just always trying to improve the truck so it was a thought.
replyreply
(04-07-2024 )Ricky Wrote:  ...
I have boost and pyro, I installed the ones that you talked about years ago. I was just liking the others and keeping it a clean look. I figured I would have to have the controller programed. Would they have to go into the ECM? It has your tune and I won't let anyone mess with that. It's been over three years since Allison built the motor and she has been a champ. Just always trying to improve the truck so it was a thought.

I have seen the prostars with those extra diff and other gauges a few times myself.

no ... it would only be the cabin controller needs to be set for the gauges your mentioning.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-11-2024, (Subject: Wiring harness ) 
IF you do this get the VIN of the truck that you are getting the gauges, sensors, etc. from. The body computer program Diamond Logic Builder (DLB) lets you pull down the Body Computer (BC) programming for any VIN including all the settings. With DLB you will be able to make the changes. I know that for the OE version you have to pass a simple test and set up a username and password to be able to make changes. I have no idea how the bootleg software would work. With DLB if you make changes it uploads them to the mother ship automatically as soon as DLB has internet access.

You will likely have to overlay the wiring from the sensors to the BC because Navistar wiring harnesses are built to VIN so the wiring is only there for the features on the truck as built. It has been that way since the start of Next Generation Vehicle (NGV) back about 2001. Not like the old days when there were often unused circuits.
It looks like the sensors will go to the BC and then CAN J1939 over to the Secondary Instrument Cluster.
replyreply
04-21-2024, (Subject: Wiring harness ) 
I remember reading about a company that makes/made OEM style aftermarket gauges, at least for some trucks. It's been a while and I don't remember the company, but I'm pretty sure I read about it on here. That might be an easier option.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
04-22-2024, (Subject: Wiring harness ) 
(04-21-2024 )JimT Wrote:  I remember reading about a company that makes/made OEM style aftermarket gauges, at least for some trucks. It's been a while and I don't remember the company, but I'm pretty sure I read about it on here. That might be an easier option.

Kustom Truck out of Oregon?
replyreply
04-23-2024, (Subject: Wiring harness ) 
Dunno about that one. I know Autometer has a wide range of products, but I'm pretty sure there was a different company mentioned on this forum in the past.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.