Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do
04-27-2024, (Subject: Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do ) 
Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do
I have a 2012 KW CM2250 ISX15. Truck has 827K miles, new in-inframe/overhaul at 810K miles. I bought the truck with everything factory and all 3 stages of jakes worked. I then deleted/tuned the truck and now only my 1st and 3rd stage jakes work, and they work as normal. I have a smartwheel and when i press my 2nd stage, it feels exactly as my 3rd. My steering buttons were just replaced and Insight shows each stage being commanded (30%, 60%, 100%). I didnt like my tune and my tuner was unwilling to help me so i payed another completely different tuner and tried 2 different tunes and still dont have my 2nd stage "working". Insight shows the command, so i know the buttons work, but there is zero difference in performance and/or boost between 2nd and 3rd stage (between 38 to 40psi boost during jaking on 2nd and 3rd stage).

For my overhaul at 810K I replaced injectors, cylinder head, rockers/valvetrain, jake solenoids, fuel pump, a/c comp, alternator, turbo, turbo actuator, ECM wiring harness, all sensors on block, oil cooler, fan clutch, fan hub, and much more. Under the hood, she has mostly new parts now, and runs great.

All 3 stages worked before the delete, but after 2 tuners and 3 tunes total between them, i still have no 2nd stage. Thoughts?
replyreply
RE: Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do
Tune is junk, pull what you have in the ecm and send it to rawze for review.
info: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , JimT
Yep, bad tune for sure. It's to bad you got taken twice by tuners that just cram random programs in your engine's ECM without any thought to what they are actually doing.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
04-28-2024, (Subject: Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do ) 
sounds like another bad delete. In addition to sending the program off for review you need to visually inspect the DOC, DPF and SCR cans. Make sure they are 100% hollowed out empty and not just with a hole drilled through the center, or multiple small holes. You mentioned new turbo and actuator. Hope they are still stock and not some aftermarket junk. Same goes for CAC and exhaust manifold - stay with the stock / OEM parts, don't swap with aftermarket parts. Same thing for the head, injectors and any other internal engine parts - stick with genuine cummins parts.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
04-29-2024, (Subject: Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do ) 
(04-28-2024 )JimT Wrote:  sounds like another bad delete. In addition to sending the program off for review you need to visually inspect the DOC, DPF and SCR cans. Make sure they are 100% hollowed out empty and not just with a hole drilled through the center, or multiple small holes. You mentioned new turbo and actuator. Hope they are still stock and not some aftermarket junk. Same goes for CAC and exhaust manifold - stay with the stock / OEM parts, don't swap with aftermarket parts. Same thing for the head, injectors and any other internal engine parts - stick with genuine cummins parts.

Everything has been OEM parts so far. Pressure checked the CAC and replaced all boots. As for DPF, etc, i'm straight piped turbo back. I completely removed everything. At this point i think my ECM is bad, and not the tune. Truck has a couple "eyebrow raisers" that seem odd, so i might just pull that trigger.
replyreply
04-29-2024, (Subject: Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do ) 
It would be a lot of coin to spend on a new ECM only to have the same issue you're currently experiencing. The possibility of a bad delete is a much more likely scenario...

May want to have one of the gurus here review that file before you pull the trigger on a new ECM.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
04-30-2024, (Subject: Cm2250 2nd stage jakes wont work, only 1st and 3rd do ) 
You obviously came here seeking help and answers. Not liking the answer you get doesn't change the reality of your situation. What you described are some of the most common symptoms of bad deletes we've seen on this forum. Here's some light reading on the subject:

The bad delete collection...

Send the file to Rawze, let him look it over. He does it for free to help ppl. Even if the ECM were bad you'd need to copy the program out anyway so it can be put onto the new ECM. hookliftpete posted a link to instructions for you to copy it out.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , snailexpress
(04-30-2024 )JimT Wrote:  You obviously came here seeking help and answers. Not liking the answer you get doesn't change the reality of your situation. What you described are some of the most common symptoms of bad deletes we've seen on this forum. Here's some light reading on the subject:

Send the file to Rawze, let him look it over. He does it for free to help ppl. Even if the ECM were bad you'd need to copy the program out anyway so it can be put onto the new ECM. hookliftpete posted a link to instructions for you to copy it out.

Do i just private message rawze for the file review? I've been doing teamviewer (remote access) with my laptop and tuner for programming, instead of mailing the ecm. The weird/odd part is my truck is running pretty well, boost and egt's are good, fuel economy is good, response is good, no shudder or vibrations, power is good (625hp tune), however my boost doesnt always hold at max psi whether climbing or jaking. Sometimes it drops 2 or 3lbs, but im not sure if thats "normal" or if the tune is messed up. I pull 70K to 95K trailers up and down 10% to 14% grades, and through cold temps down to -60 degrees below zero.

My suspicion was the ecm might be bad, but im honestly just guessing. I'd be down to have rawze check out the file.
replyreply
(04-30-2024 )Gearchatter Wrote:  
(04-30-2024 )JimT Wrote:  You obviously came here seeking help and answers. Not liking the answer you get doesn't change the reality of your situation. What you described are some of the most common symptoms of bad deletes we've seen on this forum. Here's some light reading on the subject:

Do i just private message rawze for the file review? I've been doing teamviewer (remote access) with my laptop and tuner for programming, instead of mailing the ecm. The weird/odd part is my truck is running pretty well, boost and egt's are good, fuel economy is good, response is good, no shudder or vibrations, power is good (625hp tune), however my boost doesnt always hold at max psi whether climbing or jaking. Sometimes it drops 2 or 3lbs, but im not sure if thats "normal" or if the tune is messed up. I pull 70K to 95K trailers up and down 10% to 14% grades, and through cold temps down to -60 degrees below zero.

My suspicion was the ecm might be bad, but im honestly just guessing. I'd be down to have rawze check out the file.

PM him and ask him directly.

As for the tune, if you browsed over that bad delete thread you'd know that you can't accurately gauge what's going on inside the ECM by outward appearances. The only way to know for sure is to go through it, parameter by parameter.

As for your boost... I could be wrong, but I thought proper max boost for a cm2250 and it's stock turbo was around 32 psi. Maybe it's a little higher braking but 38-40 or above seems excessive. Again, I could have my info wrong here. That's why I asked if the parts post delete were all stock, since some places try to sell different turbo's and/or exhaust manifolds with their "package".

Also, 625HP seems pretty excessive for a cm2250. Unless it was factory built for higher HP, mid 500's is usually the max safe range for those engines. But, that's another thing Rawze will be able to determine by looking at the programming you have now and comparing it to the factory program for that truck.

The jake issue, the boost PSI, the high HP setting and the fact that you've been to multiple so called "tuners" trying different tunes. Those are all red flags pointing to a bad delete. But we can all sit here guessing till the sun goes super nova, the only way to know for sure is to review the programming.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.