N14 oil crankcase separator
10-04-2016, (Subject: N14 oil crankcase separator ) 
N14 oil crankcase separator
Got a little oil drip coming from the blow by tube on a n14 celect plus. I'm just putting this truck on the road. All is well, runs strong and fairly efficient. Had to fix oil leaks at all three cam followers and thought I had my oil leaks under control. Well I've spotted the slow oil drip out the blow by tube. My two thoughts are that 1. I have to much oil in the system ( unfortunately I had to let a local TA do it and he didn't seem to familiar with the N14 )

And or 2. That the crankcase oil separator has failed, allowing oil to escape

I found theses that fleet guard makes. They're a little over $500 but I'm not for sure if they do the oil separating as well

https://catalog.cumminsfiltration.com/pd...046-GB.pdf

Any thoughts on this matter?

Thanks in advance and safe trails
replyreply
RE: N14 oil crankcase separator
Old school way is stuff a piece of steel wool in the tube. Don't pack it too tight,pressure still needs to go somewhere. That drip is pretty common on n14's
replyreply
On my n14, when it did the same as yours. I just added a gallon on stalube gear oil 80-90wt gl4, and the oil drip went away, and greatly reduced the blowby. I would NOT recommend stuffing steel wool in the blowby tube, which would cause pressure to be put on turbo, resulting in premature turbo failure. This motor need's to breathe.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
10-05-2016, (Subject: N14 oil crankcase separator ) 
(10-04-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  On my n14, when it did the same as yours. I just added a gallon on stalube gear oil 80-90wt gl4, and the oil drip went away, and greatly reduced the blowby. I would NOT recommend stuffing steel wool in the blowby tube, which would cause pressure to be put on turbo, resulting in premature turbo failure. This motor need's to breathe.

Thanks. I did see that this blow by tube is connected straight to a port on the head. This blow by tube is a straight forward tube with no separator. So it looks like that one I posted is somewhat of an aftermarket addition.------- but at this point I think I got to much oil in the system. I was not dropping the oil out the blow by until after the oil change, My oil way way over full on my dipstick at cold temp, and now two days laters it's still just a little over full. It seems to me that the system is just purging out the excessive oil. I was thinking about using a siphon pump and getting the levels back to where it should be.

And maybe adding some of the gear oil too
replyreply
(10-05-2016 )AndrewH Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  On my n14, when it did the same as yours. I just added a gallon on stalube gear oil 80-90wt gl4, and the oil drip went away, and greatly reduced the blowby. I would NOT recommend stuffing steel wool in the blowby tube, which would cause pressure to be put on turbo, resulting in premature turbo failure. This motor need's to breathe.

Thanks. I did see that this blow by tube is connected straight to a port on the head. This blow by tube is a straight forward tube with no separator. So it looks like that one I posted is somewhat of an aftermarket addition.------- but at this point I think I got to much oil in the system. I was not dropping the oil out the blow by until after the oil change, My oil way way over full on my dipstick at cold temp, and now two days laters it's still just a little over full. It seems to me that the system is just purging out the excessive oil. I was thinking about using a siphon pump and getting the levels back to where it should be.

Excess oil in any engine that is high enough to get to the bottom of the rods is very bad. It causes a lot of oil "fog" and oil out of the blow-by tube but that is the least of the problems it causes. It also foams up the oil in the pan and causes aeration.

Aeration can cause pre-mature/excess wear in the entire engine and can also cause one to spin a bearing easily. It is as bad as having coolant in the oil.

Just thought i would throw that out there.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-05-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 )AndrewH Wrote:  

Excess oil in any engine that is high enough to get to the bottom of the rods is very bad. It causes a lot of oil "fog" and oil out of the blow-by tube but that is the least of the problems it causes. It also foams up the oil in the pan and causes aeration.

Aeration can cause pre-mature/excess wear in the entire engine and can also cause one to spin a bearing easily. It is as bad as having coolant in the oil.

Just thought i would throw that out there.

Ouch. 10-4. Syphion it is today then. TA said they'd warranty it by draining some out but there's no TA's around where I'm going.
replyreply
10-13-2016, (Subject: N14 oil crankcase separator ) 

Hey Hhow55, would 85w90 be ok? It's the only Sta-lube brand weight I see closest to 80w-90..... It's a Gl4
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.