Maximum DPF Soot Load
10-08-2016, (Subject: Maximum DPF Soot Load ) 
Maximum DPF Soot Load
I'm considering buying a Peterbilt 2013 587 with a cummins engine soon. I got a ECM print out what concerns me under the maximum DPF Soot load says Above normal - least severe. Can anyone explain this to me. Should I get the filter cleaned before purchase?
replyreply
RE: Maximum DPF Soot Load
Your not really giving enough information. You need to look at the last ten regens for temperatures, soot load, differential pressures and how often it is regening. Temps on in and out need to be in the 1000 to 1100 range, DP running in the high 2's and 3's is not good. Soot load normal. Cleaning the filter will not fix why it's above normal. You need to find out why. My soot load is always normal but my pd's are 4 and 5 and regen about every 3 hours. That's not good. I've spent lots of $ repairing the problems that were causing this and still need an egr valve and dpf and dozer, another 3000 bucks. Wish I had come to this site a long time ago.

User's Signature: I don't know sh!t from shinola!
replyreply
(10-08-2016 )Dcolumbia Wrote:  Your not really giving enough information. You need to look at the last ten regens for temperatures, soot load, differential pressures and how often it is regening. Temps on in and out need to be in the 1000 to 1100 range, DP running in the high 2's and 3's is not good. Soot load normal. Cleaning the filter will not fix why it's above normal. You need to find out why. My soot load is always normal but my pd's are 4 and 5 and regen about every 3 hours. That's not good. I've spent lots of $ repairing the problems that were causing this and still need an egr valve and dpf and dozer, another 3000 bucks. Wish I had come to this site a long time ago.
The differential pressure is 3.9. The report I've got doesn't give the regen temps. All I have is the number of regens which is 461 with 4 incomplete. 913 gallons of def used.
replyreply
10-09-2016, (Subject: Maximum DPF Soot Load ) 
(10-08-2016 )Smacklin Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 )Dcolumbia Wrote:  Your not really giving enough information. You need to look at the last ten regens for temperatures, soot load, differential pressures and how often it is regening. Temps on in and out need to be in the 1000 to 1100 range, DP running in the high 2's and 3's is not good. Soot load normal. Cleaning the filter will not fix why it's above normal. You need to find out why. My soot load is always normal but my pd's are 4 and 5 and regen about every 3 hours. That's not good. I've spent lots of $ repairing the problems that were causing this and still need an egr valve and dpf and dozer, another 3000 bucks. Wish I had come to this site a long time ago.
The differential pressure is 3.9. The report I've got doesn't give the regen temps. All I have is the number of regens which is 461 with 4 incomplete. 913 gallons of def used.

anything consistently above 3 and it needs to be cleaned/replaced. that truck is heading for aftertreatment issues.
replyreply
10-10-2016, (Subject: Maximum DPF Soot Load ) 
I had the same thing in my ECM. DPF soot load above normal-least severe. My regens were in the 3-4 area with regens being performed every 100 miles or so. I cleaned the DPF myself which did not fix the issue. I brought the truck to the dealer so I could rent another truck through the company I'm contacted to and keep rolling. The dealer replaced the turbo, DOC, and DPF all under Cummins warranty. WOO! Now the truck is regening every 1500 miles or so. I asked the dealer what was wrong with the turbo and they said "Cummins told us to replace it. So, we did." ::face palm:: The only thing I can think of is maybe the turbo shaft seals were leaking oil into the exhaust coating the DPF and the soot was just sticking to it. Just a complete guess though.

User's Signature: 2013 Volvo 670 with Big Red under the hood
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.