Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Turbo sliencer ring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So browsing the interwebs I noticed in the pick up truck world removing the silencing ring seems to be a popular thing to do purely for sound. I have read some speculations about supposed mpg gains and/or losses. Now my question, has anybody experimented with this idea that can confirm or discredit the mpg change theory?
(04-03-2017 )marek4792 Wrote: [ -> ]So browsing the interwebs I noticed in the pick up truck world removing the silencing ring seems to be a popular thing to do purely for sound. I have read some speculations about supposed mpg gains and/or losses. Now my question, has anybody experimented with this idea that can confirm or discredit the mpg change theory?

At someone else's request, I actually did this and tested this with someone about 2 years ago on ISX with holset turbo. Fuel mileage actually dropped off a tiny bit and it made no significant increase in sound. -- It is a crock of total baloney red-neck pick-up truck butcher bulls$it if you ask me!.
(04-03-2017 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]I actually did this and tested this with someone about 2 years ago on ISX with holset turbo. Fuel mileage actually dropped off a tiny bit and it made no significant increase in sound. -- It is a crock of total baloney!.

That's what I thought and thinking about it seems like a good way to void warranty if the turbo should fail.
I had a 04 dodge with a cummins that had the ring removed. It sounds like a jet engine getting ready to take off it was so loud when you accelerated. It was annoying, I can see were some kid would think it's cool though lol
(04-04-2017 )race7820000 Wrote: [ -> ]I had a 04 dodge with a cummins that had the ring removed. It sounds like a jet engine getting ready to take off it was so loud when you accelerated. It was annoying, I can see were some kid would think it's cool though lol

I think the design of the intake on most big trucks quietens this down. I could not really tell a significant sound difference, nor could the truck owner on the pete that we tested after it was all put back together and the hood closed.
Which part is the silencing ring? The shroud plate?
It's in the inlet of the the turbo housing surrounding the turbine held in by a snap ring
Reference URL's