Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Plastic Radiator repar?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to figure out how to repair a crack in the upper radiator hose fitting where it meets the tank. It started late last week. When I squeeze that hose there's tiny bubbles around the top circumference, loosing enough coolant to trickle down the radiator and drip. Losing 1 gl over 2-3 days. The hose itself isn't leaking.

Does anyone know what type of plastic these tanks are?

I'm thinking hot water PVC and would try to find like plastic pipe or coupler and either PVC glue or Epoxy a collar section to butt to tank.
Radiator is in great condition otherwise. I found a new OEM locally for $800 but would like to buy some time until I can replace it.

Any thoughts or success stories greatly appreciated.
I tried jb weld on my reserve tank when it had a small crack but wouldn't hold at all. Just ended up replacing with new oem...
I do it like this. Have done a few, works well.

I have done the above like Rawze has shown before too. Worked great on a fresh water tank but I don't see why it wouldn't work on your Radiator. I have also have had some luck with just a butane powered hot knife. The idea with it is just to heat up the plastic and kind of smear it back and forth over the crack to seal it back up. It works well if the plastic you are working with is thick enough. Hope that helps and good luck!
Follow up on radiator repair,
I pulled the upper hose, while messing with it the entire neck broke of in my hand, flush to the tank.
Found a pvc collar that fit the ID, got ot dry and cleaned with brake cleaner. JB weld 24 hour epoxy and let it cure 24 hours. Drove it 30 miles and it let loose.

COOLANT works as release agent for epoxy!

Drove it back to the shop and replaced the radiator!

Lesson learned : when plastic tanks start leaking replace it ASAP. Lucky it was the upper hose and not the lower. 700k looks to be the life expectancy of plastic tanks.
(06-07-2017 )in2trux Wrote: [ -> ]Follow up on radiator repair,
I pulled the upper hose, while messing with it the entire neck broke of in my hand, flush to the tank.
Found a pvc collar that fit the ID, got ot dry and cleaned with brake cleaner. JB weld 24 hour epoxy and let it cure 24 hours. Drove it 30 miles and it let loose.

COOLANT works as release agent for epoxy!

Drove it back to the shop and replaced the radiator!

Lesson learned : when plastic tanks start leaking replace it ASAP. Lucky it was the upper hose and not the lower. 700k looks to be the life expectancy of plastic tanks.

nothing I have ever seen sticks to those plactic tanks very well. The only thing I have seen that has a chance is plastic fuel tank repair epoxy but even it has trouble. Welding is the best option for them if not replacing it.
(06-07-2017 )in2trux Wrote: [ -> ]COOLANT works as release agent for epoxy!

That explains a lot. Now I know why $100 worth of JB Weld products and silicone gave out so fast on a different component. One that I wanted to keep antifreeze from leaking out of. Found a good welder on Kijiji (like Craig's list) and haven't looked back.
Reference URL's