Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Oil dipstick/oil capacity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=3059][attachment=3058][attachment=3058][attachment=3058][attachment=3058]I'll try to keep this short. I usually have Speedco put 44 qts in, which brings it to the blue line. Today I had them put 40 to see where it would end up. It's right at full-black line, after sitting about 2 hours.
I have put 48 qts in before because of what the manual says, and it was at the green line. (I ended up removing a gallon, and adding it back later).
I'm just wondering if perhaps the stick is a little off. I also want to see if it consumes less starting at this point.
How much do others put in, and where is that on the stick?
I always have them fill mine until only the "FU" in "FULL" is dry.
(08-31-2017 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]I always have them fill mine until only the "FU" in "FULL" is dry.

How many quarts is that total?
On mine 44 qts brings it to the line right below full ( the black line in your picture.) However, I run mine at 42 qts, which lands smack dab between the full and add lines. It seems like mine consumes less oil like that.
I always add mine to the black mark. The old cats had issues with the dipstick so you would add a little more, volvo engine's like to push it out if you go to the full mark so I'd always put it in the middle of the hashes.
I have them put 40 qts in and my gallon of Sta-Lube. One thing I notice is that the motor holds back at least a gallon+ until everything drains into the pan overnight. I just stick with what Cummins says in regards to capacity.
(09-01-2017 )Waterloo Wrote: [ -> ]I have them put 40 qts in and my gallon of Sta-Lube. One thing I notice is that the motor holds back at least a gallon+ until everything drains into the pan overnight. I just stick with what Cummins says in regards to capacity.

Just curious where that is on your dipstick in the morning.
It is normally just about the middle of the full add mark with 44 qts in the shop, full mark in the morning. When we do the pump it up to the full line at Speedco or TA I find the oil well past the full line the next day. I have gotten under there and drained a gallon or more out a few times. I have one of the ball valve oil pan valves on the pan, so it is easy to do. Sorry, long week and I am in the beer.
Reference URL's