Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2011 Prostar. Driver complains the steering wheel shakes 60-70mph. Not always and doesnt change the direction of truck. The steering shaft has a little play. Not much more then any of my other trucks. The u joints are tight and well lubed. Is it possible the slip yoke between the two halves of shaft are bad?
Sounds like out of balance tires to me.

The steering shaft does wear out though, I have had to replace mine 2 times in a million miles even though it stays well greased. When they wear out, it is an annoying knocking sound + vibration when hitting bumps like there is a bad u-joint.
Master balance an centralmatic help me greatly better tire and less wheel hop
Check u-bolts and center bolt on the leaf spring. A broken center bolt will allow the axle to shift back and forth.
I have to say thanks yall! I checked springs. All good. The tire on this unit were installed before i started with this company. A little uneven wear on tires. Pulled them and found glass bead equal and alot of tire mounting lube in one tire and some kinda liquid in the other tire. I replaced with some good used tires and put centermatic balancers on. I didnt feel any issue. Going to have the driver run with a load today. I had no idea the the balancers were so cheap. Thanks again!
Used tire, not good idea on steer axle.Have you every had a steer tire fail? I have, it's not fun event.
(06-27-2018 )hhow55 Wrote: [ -> ]Used tire, not good idea on steer axle.Have you every had a steer tire fail? I have, it's not fun event.

I'm with hhow55 on this one. Last steer tire that blew out on me cost me more than $3000 in damaged parts alone.
The used tires were a temporary thing. Couldnt get tires delivered til this morning. Im putting virgins on now. Thanks y'all!
Reference URL's