Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar
06-27-2018, (Subject: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar ) 
Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar
2011 Prostar. Driver complains the steering wheel shakes 60-70mph. Not always and doesnt change the direction of truck. The steering shaft has a little play. Not much more then any of my other trucks. The u joints are tight and well lubed. Is it possible the slip yoke between the two halves of shaft are bad?
replyreply
RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar
Sounds like out of balance tires to me.

The steering shaft does wear out though, I have had to replace mine 2 times in a million miles even though it stays well greased. When they wear out, it is an annoying knocking sound + vibration when hitting bumps like there is a bad u-joint.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ksmech11 , Waterloo , Brock
Master balance an centralmatic help me greatly better tire and less wheel hop
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ksmech11
Check u-bolts and center bolt on the leaf spring. A broken center bolt will allow the axle to shift back and forth.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ksmech11
I have to say thanks yall! I checked springs. All good. The tire on this unit were installed before i started with this company. A little uneven wear on tires. Pulled them and found glass bead equal and alot of tire mounting lube in one tire and some kinda liquid in the other tire. I replaced with some good used tires and put centermatic balancers on. I didnt feel any issue. Going to have the driver run with a load today. I had no idea the the balancers were so cheap. Thanks again!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Rawze , Brock
Used tire, not good idea on steer axle.Have you every had a steer tire fail? I have, it's not fun event.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ksmech11 , smorgan87
(06-27-2018 )hhow55 Wrote:  Used tire, not good idea on steer axle.Have you every had a steer tire fail? I have, it's not fun event.

I'm with hhow55 on this one. Last steer tire that blew out on me cost me more than $3000 in damaged parts alone.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , ksmech11
06-28-2018, (Subject: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar ) 
The used tires were a temporary thing. Couldnt get tires delivered til this morning. Im putting virgins on now. Thanks y'all!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.