Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: new volvo d13 engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what are you fellas thoughts on the new d13 volvo compound turbo engine?
wear is it u see compound turbos ? i only see 1 in there litachure not that its not on the way
http://youtu.be/9PbxmRA9vbs

Second turbine instead of compressing air aids the crank instead
(05-01-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote: [ -> ]http://youtu.be/9PbxmRA9vbs

Looks interesting. I wouldn't touch it for the first couple of years though. Let them work out the bugs, and there will be many.

Granted I wouldn't touch it at all, as I think the worst thing you can do to a Volvo truck is put a Volvo engine in it.

But that's just me.
(05-01-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote: [ -> ]http://youtu.be/9PbxmRA9vbs

Detroit does this too. It is to re-claim some of the energy wasted because of excess back-pressure the EGR system makes.

Gearhead has experimented with this heavily on the detroit and has said it is total bullshit! -- The engine is more efficient without it because it restricts too much heat behind it in the exhaust manifold and turbo with it installed. It makes the the engine have a shorter lifespan due to constant heat buildup on the turbo, etc. and makes for shorter injector lifespan too.

After a good delete,... removing this system makes the engine much more efficient.

I was told that a construction company that had very high torque demands lost several engines pre-maturely because of this same system, had them all removed, and they stopped loosing engines.

Unilevers

that detroit heat reclamation is a joke, just adding my 0.02c on this.

lol wonder what that volvo turbo will cost.....the detroit afterburner is huge money.
ok thoughts , that vid to me did not look like compound turbos , 1 normal turbo with a energy recovery system as it has a shaft with gears connected to the crank as like rawze says it can keep the heat in there longer , but these new epa motors run at a lower Exhaust temp to reduced nox , not sure if this one dose as i know fiat that makes engines for caseih an new holland just treat with def , and dont worry about nox until after treatment ,agco dose the same thing , also old school motors , unilevers an gear head would know but i think 1100-1200 exhaust temp was the magic number for them as max temp . so it would remain to be seen what engine life is , as heat kills , to much any way . an a lil history for u all ,the formula boys have been doing a variation of this for the last 3 years , 1 turbo fit with a elect motor generator In between the intake and exhaust side of the turbo , low rpm the use the elect motor to spool up the turbo faster , under braking they generate elect into a battery they also have another elect motor generator gear driven to the crank apon Exceleration it acts like a elect motor giving a kick to the gas engine when braking it act like a generator an re charges the battery all high tec as everything is drive by wire now . Mercedes bends has a verson like it on there engine they put in the class combines , single turbo with gear drive to the crank to we coupe some the exhaust an turn it into horsepower , all in all just one more thing to fix check spend money on when they go out , how much fuel u save compaired to the added parts coast , well who knowes ,at higher fuel prices maybe . just my 2 cents
Reference URL's