Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Cac replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can CAC be replaced on a prostar without removing the hood? Waterloo posted a link to an aftermarket hood shock...can't find the link...anyone remember?
Yep, just brace the hood. I took the grill out to make access easier. Watch the hood hinge, it is a scissor set up, at least on mine...

At my old house I had the perfect height garbage can to brace the hood, my new house, the cans are a bit shorter, I assumed wrong on the shorter can and punctured the tranny cooler with that scissor hinge end.

Watch the CAC top brace/plate, I believe there were some studs in mine, they snapped right off. I wound up going to the dealer to purchase that top plate as the old one was no longer usable. I do not own a welder. Cost, $100

When assembling the framework around the new CAC, use anti-seize on all of the bolts and studs. And make sure you are on level ground, if you are not that frame work will twist and you may have a hell of a time getting it back together.

All in all, it was an easy job. I did have to grab my neighbor to set the new unit in place. I removed the old unit by myself, and there is a core charge on the CAC, so take it with you when you go to the dealership for the new one, save yourself a trip and the deposit, I think it was around $400.

Get the International part number for the hood shock, FleetPride sells them and can cross reference, I think I paid around $80 for mine around two years ago from these guys, https://www.truckspring.com
After calling the dealer for price quote of like 1200.00 for a OEM cac I found this one of fleabay...very well made for less than half of what the stealership wanted...
Another pic
maybe 600 cheaper but is it as efficient as the OEM is the question if its not your going to spend more than that 600 in fuel. you may have saved a nickle to wind up spending a dollar somewhere else over time and never recovered.
It's exactly the same as oem... looks like maybe a recore?
That's the CAC on a prostar??!! Wow smaller than I would have thought for a 15 liter engine.
I was thinking the same thing holy shi#t that's tiny
I have a prostar. The CAC has 18 passageways + top/bottom plates. - That fleabay P.O.S. is going to be restrictive. - looks like a cheaper version of the duraf$uck re-build wannabe with the same 12 (or 15 on the chineesium version copies) or so passageways as that restricted garbage fuel-mileage killing knockoff junk!!.

CAC is a critical component towards the enigne's efficiency. You get exactly what you pay for!. - Go get an OEM or pay the price every single day you drive your truck. Save a dollar to spend ten times that every year making the oil companies richer!.

I hope like hell you did not purchase that thing!.

There is a sucker born every minute!.

ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...45#pid5845
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's