Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: New truck, someones been playing with...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all. Been looking at the forums here, lurking for awhile.
Recently made the plunge and came to the O/O side of things. Got a good deal on a 2010 KW T2000, ISX15-400, 13spd, new clutch, still in great shape, 600k miles. Clean ex-fleet truck. I was looking for an older truck, but pulled the trigger after educating myself here. Have had the truck for a month, and so far hasn't given me any issues. I pull road tanks and ISO tanks, some overweight loads, and some in the mountains.
I noticed while going over the truck and servicing it that the DIC tells me it's got a 2007 ISX. Truck is a 2010 and I notice the emissions sensors have been replaced. Also, the regeneration switch is missing with a plate over it (connector for the switch is in the dash) This indicates to me that the emissions have been fooled with. All sensors are still present. Haven't pulled the DPF but I'm assuming it was fooled with too.
I was planning on doing a number of things to the truck prior to this...cleaning out soot, overhead adjustment, oil sample, filter mags, bypass oil filter, full lube and wheel balancers, APU servicing, stainless coolant tubes and silicone hoses, new filters, new shocks, air leak check, blah blah...try to keep the truck up the the same standards I keep my cars at (which is pretty damn high). Some of the work I've already done. I believe aggressive PM minimizes the risk of breakdowns and believe in it completely. I intend to modify for reliability and mileage.
I am familiar with ECM tuning and fuel injection, on cars though. I've built engines for my toys, port my own heads and intakes, and have even considered mildly porting the truck parts when it comes time for an in frame (just to clean it up, not to open it up).
I have noticed a few things I find odd, which may be from me coming from a 06 C15...accelerator hardly does anything until I get to about 50%, slightly lower than expected fuel economy ( doesn't matter too much how it's driven), very fast engine deceleration (I have to float very quickly, twice as fast as with the cat), odd turbo behavior (audibly spools up and down irregularly at part throttle)
Firat instinct I had was to flash the ecm to the correct configuration, but I'm afraid doing that might cause alot of downtime in fixing other problems and I just started making money with this truck so I'm not exactly sure on how to proceed...
I'm good with everything working as factory intended, I'm just trying to not go bankrupt while fixing it up 100%. Kids still need to eat in the meantime.
First thing I would do, immediately, is to install a pyrometer and purchase an Inline reader. Someone has messed with that truck. Your turbo is not acting normally, and God forbid, I bet you are hitting some high egt numbers. Many of us that have, and or are in the process of doing in frames, all have discovered at least one high egt event in the trucks history, that has more than likely taken out our heads, or worse. I'll let the more knowledgable take this from here. Good luck!
The spooling noise isn't necessarily something to be alarmed by. Often those 400HP engines will sound like the turbo is surging when held slightly higher than idle rpms. On the other hand, if it's surging under load and at idle it would be worth looking into.
It can have a 2007 emissions engine in a 2010. Mines is a 2011 model year with a 2007 model engine. I believe the easiest way to tell would be the way the egr tube is routed. A 871 is routed behind the head while a 2250 is routed over the top front of the valve cover. Also the engine will have a common rail rather than the older fuel system.
The quick rpm drop or deacceration, thats normal for a Cummins vs a CAT, it was one of the hardest things to get used to when I too made the switch from cat to cummins. some days I still feel like a new driver trying to shift my isx and its been over three years lol. I miss the lazy way cats shift.

With your motor being a little 400 it's prob putting down what 1550-1650tq the torque ramp up on the little motors is slllllloooooowwwwww so I can see why it feels like its doing nothing especially if your pulling over 80k+...she's working her ass off to get going.
And here I was thinking it was my tall gears? Driven cats and cummins, and can't recall the turbo being all over the place? Am I missing something?

Unilevers

(06-17-2016 )ynot Wrote: [ -> ]The quick rpm drop or deacceration, thats normal for a Cummins vs a CAT, it was one of the hardest things to get used to when I too made the switch from cat to cummins. some days I still feel like a new driver trying to shift my isx and its been over three years lol. I miss the lazy way cats shift.

With your motor being a little 400 it's prob putting down what 1550-1650tq the torque ramp up on the little motors is slllllloooooowwwwww so I can see why it feels like its doing nothing especially if your pulling over 80k+...she's working her ass off to get going.

try changing the governor from automotive to all speed. makes em shift alot more like a cat and that is the governor cat uses in their ecms.
Unilevers; for the governor settings,
Do I find this setting in Insite? If so, where am I looking for it?

**edit**
Yeah I found it...I was reading in bed at the time
FYI anybody else, it's in Features and Parameters
My options on a CM871 are:
Automotive or Variable Speed 1

I changed to VS1 and will export back the noticed change in driveability[/i]
I'll give that a try uni, I think I tried it before but didn't like it.

Ya hammerhead it's a setting in insite takes a couple mins to change it up
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's