Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Drive shaft alignment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[attachment=7995]

I put a string from the transmission yoke to the rear differential input yoke. It shows the carrier bearing is a little bit to one side. I would think it should line up with the other two. I would have to drill the bracket to accomplish that. Is that necessary or is this somewhat normal? I don’t necessarily feel any vibration to speak of, but it could probably be better.
Thanks
looks close enough not to worry about if ya ask me.
My carrier bearing is slightly out of square too, no issues since i replaced it to years ago, u joints all look good etc.
You can loosen the mount bolts the cross member and see if it'll slide the way you want to. There may be just enough slop in them. Also the holes on the mount at the carrier bearing are usually slotted for adjustment.
(08-06-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]You can loosen the mount bolts the cross member and see if it'll slide the way you want to. There may be just enough slop in them. Also the holes on the mount at the carrier bearing are usually slotted for adjustment.

It slides fore and aft, but not sideways. Or, at least, just a little bit. Not much.
You can twist carrier bearing left or right to cancel angles.
U joints need to have a operating angle to them. If u joints operate at a zero angle the needle bearings wont move around and u joints will wear out prematurely.
(08-08-2021 )stevegrutz Wrote: [ -> ]U joints need to have a operating angle to them. If u joints operate at a zero angle the needle bearings wont move around and u joints will wear out prematurely.

here is one reference...
Quote:U-Joint Angles - U-joints need a slight angle for proper lubrication. Without the correct angles, the needle bearings in the u-joint caps do not rotate. Those needle bearings need to rotate in order for the u-joint to operate reliably and smoothly. These u-joint angles should always be at least 1-degree to avoid wearing out the yoke bearings ...
ref: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li...gles.shtml

and there is another reference in the "Drive-line Install Manuals" from Eaton-Dana. It basically states that ...

Quote: When installing a midship-mounted PTO, auxiliary transmission, or midship-mounted pump into the main driveline of a vehicle,install it at the same angle as the transmission. Keep the offset to a minimum to reduce universal joint operating angles.

Note: Do not make the universal joint operating angle less than 1/2 degree.
If the device ends up being installed in direct line with the transmission, with little or no universal joint operating angle on thejoints, raise or lower it so there is enough offset to create the required 1 to 1-1/2 degree universal joint operating angle on eachend of the driveshaft
ref: https://www.waterousco.com/media/wysiwyg...1-DSSP.pdf

===============

maybe this adds to the conversation.
(08-08-2021 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-08-2021 )stevegrutz Wrote: [ -> ]U joints need to have a operating angle to them. If u joints operate at a zero angle the needle bearings wont move around and u joints will wear out prematurely.

here is one reference...
Quote:U-Joint Angles - U-joints need a slight angle for proper lubrication. Without the correct angles, the needle bearings in the u-joint caps do not rotate. Those needle bearings need to rotate in order for the u-joint to operate reliably and smoothly. These u-joint angles should always be at least 1-degree to avoid wearing out the yoke bearings ...
ref: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li...gles.shtml

and there is another reference in the "Drive-line Install Manuals" from Eaton-Dana. It basically states that ...

Quote: When installing a midship-mounted PTO, auxiliary transmission, or midship-mounted pump into the main driveline of a vehicle,install it at the same angle as the transmission. Keep the offset to a minimum to reduce universal joint operating angles.

Note: Do not make the universal joint operating angle less than 1/2 degree.
If the device ends up being installed in direct line with the transmission, with little or no universal joint operating angle on thejoints, raise or lower it so there is enough offset to create the required 1 to 1-1/2 degree universal joint operating angle on eachend of the driveshaft
ref: https://www.waterousco.com/media/wysiwyg...1-DSSP.pdf

===============

maybe this adds to the conversation.

The carrier is straight out from the transmission, mounted to the frame cross member. The joint goes down from there to the front diff. So it has an angle. The only thing I was concerned about was that the whole thing was a little out of line. Probably not enough to worry about.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's