Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: 04’ cm870 air compressor keeps breaking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
if you got a metal gasket installed you should be okay, Waterloo on here once had gotten a cork style gasket for it and it did not hold up too well and dumped a good amount of oil on him.
Good spray bottle with a little Dawn dish soap/water will work wonders. Build the pressure up, shut the truck off and start spraying. You will be amazed at how much you will find when you really look for the slightest leaks.

- As a side note, Just because the purge is constantly popping, doesn't necessarily mean you have a large leak. All it takes is one of the command lines on the governor to have the slightest leak and it will continuously shift the spool thus commanding the compressor to build rather than bypass. You will see very little (if any) actual loss on your air gauge since the leak will be so small.

Maybe time the interval between the air purging. If it's very short and consistent (as in 2.5-3min or less) then the above described issue may be your culprit.

I've fairly often heard guys at the truck stops who constantly pop the air just while filling up---- I have no idea how they have a compressor left.
(10-27-2021 )SquareOne Wrote: [ -> ]Good spray bottle with a little Dawn dish soap/water will work wonders. Build the pressure up, shut the truck off and start spraying. You will be amazed at how much you will find when you really look for the slightest leaks.

- As a side note, Just because the purge is constantly popping, doesn't necessarily mean you have a large leak. All it takes is one of the command lines on the governor to have the slightest leak and it will continuously shift the spool thus commanding the compressor to build rather than bypass. You will see very little (if any) actual loss on your air gauge since the leak will be so small.

Maybe time the interval between the air purging. If it's very short and consistent (as in 2.5-3min or less) then the above described issue may be your culprit.

I've fairly often heard guys at the truck stops who constantly pop the air just while filling up---- I have no idea how they have a compressor left.

The lines you are talking about are the two small lines coming out of the governor? If so one of them goes to the transmission and it was leaking but changed the fitting yesterday but still purging.Have to chase the other one and see where it goes.Definitely cycling within 2-3 minutes.
(10-28-2021 )Redland1 Wrote: [ -> ]The lines you are talking about are the two small lines coming out of the governor? If so one of them goes to the transmission and it was leaking but changed the fitting yesterday but still purging.Have to chase the other one and see where it goes.Definitely cycling within 2-3 minutes.

- Yes, check those lines thoroughly -

Not sure if all systems are configured the same, but of the 2 governor lines on my truck (13 Cascadia), one goes to the rearward primary supply tank, and the other goes to the air dryer. I've had both of those cause the exact issues you're describing. Very little seepage, but since it's a line which determines when the governor will shift, it will continuously cause the air to build...it's very consistent when timed.

Also, be sure to check the governor....I literally just went through a half day worth of troubleshooting and combing though the air system thinking I had an issue I was missing. It ended up being a faulty 'new' governor.
Quick serve I believe has a section on your exact issue.. maybe when you get home you should convert that air compressor to Naturally aspirated Cummings directed that to do done to my truck while it was under warranty I’m assuming to prevent Soot buildup in air compressor and other components so maybe worth doing. It’s a simple job here’s the link to troubleshooting your issue on quickserve https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...-1008.html
How often should the dryer purge? Used a pump sprayer with soap and water and only found a leak on the air tank check valve and I replaced it and also one of the governor fittings which I replaced as well.Going to get the air dryer installed tomorrow and see what happens but so far it’s still purging more often than I think it should. How’s that naturally aspirated conversion work?
So what I have found is small leaks similar to this one.The check valve where the hose is connected is a day old.How do I stop a leak like this one?
This is the other tank.All fittings on that tank are less than a month old.The valve is an easy fix but what about the other ones?
I bought a brand new pete 567 3 years ago, all the fittings have leaked just like those since the day I got it. Crappy fittings from our friends in Asia.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's