Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Driveshaft replacement cost
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What have you guys been charged for driveshaft replacement/rebuild on your trucks? I needed my intermediate shaft replaced on my semi from spline wear and I’m getting $1300 for a brand new balanced driveshaft with OEM Spicer yokes. I am just wondering if that’s an outrageous cost before I go and pick it up in the morning…

I tried to get an OEM new one from the manufacturer and was told a 1000$ and was told for special favor that I would be on a indefinite (emergency vehicle) list straight from the manufacturer….

Feel like I am getting passed around the block so any insight will be appreciated! There is not many driveline places here in the upper Midwest. (Twin Cities)

Thanks
(this is not an advertisement, it is simply that I have been in your shoes and got screwed around just like you describe a couple years back ) ...

Check with Chattanooga drive-line in Chattanooga, TN.. these people are straight up and sell / stock many of the OEM, ready to install drive-shafts that are pre-balanced right from the manufaturer. That is where I got mine after being "lolly-gagged" around just like you describe at 2 different drive-line shops in Atlanta here.

Here they are on google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/BR1pjizHKAyLabym6

Even if you don't use them, at least you will not be lied to.
I had my driveline rebuilt local here. 3 day turnaround with new slip joints, yokes and high speed spin balanced. It was around $1800 for both main and intermediate shafts out the door but that was a couple years ago.
I paid about the same as Nilao for the entire Spicer drive line overhaul on 2 different trucks from a place in Hagerstown, MD. Meritor is the one that everyone of the drive line guys I talked to said can cost upwards of $10k to replace everything.
Mine was $1190 for just the front section (daycab Cascadia) built by a local shop. U-joints, slip yoke, and high speed balance.

- The rear section (b/t the drives) I replaced the U-joints only as the slip portion was in great shape. The front section didn't have the seal when I bought the truck, so the dirt/dust mixed with the grease did a number to the coating on the slip yoke splines.

(11-25-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote: [ -> ]..... Meritor is the one that everyone of the drive line guys I talked to said can cost upwards of $10k to replace everything.

^^--- Holy $hit that would be an unexpected expense cost...wow!
Ok, to update this thread the total cost after tax was $1338 for a MERITOR driveshaft.... They shop does have a very good reputation and I feel they did a good job with the driveshaft and communication. I needed to also "rebuild" my output shaft as everybody was 2 weeks out with a new one and needed to be patient with pressing in the new bearings along with shimming them within a very small tolerance. It was a good challenge for myself over thanksgiving break as I also finally slowed myself down quite a bit. It is always good to take a long break from trucking as it helps tremendously with refocusing on what you are doing and trying to achieve! Thank you to all who chimed in!
^----- It's good to see a responsible animal who'll sleep off the buzz before getting back out on the trail ..lol
Question, so thanks the horribly shitty winter and not doing my proper full pre trip for sometime I came across my seal on mid driveshaft (photo in above post) had popped off allowing whatever to get into it.

I took the drive shaft off to clean the inside of dirt, gunk, grime and with that being said I have everything cleaned up and ready to put back together and I am curious on how much grease that I need to put into the splined shaft tube? I figured enough to where the grease pushes out the splines when the two units are put back together with the seal not popped on?

FYI this is a Meritor permalube RPL style shaft. The service manual for Meritor does not explain anything on lubing this style.

These are not greaseable driveshafts.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reference URL's