Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: CM871 broken Turbo Clamp on boost side
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone, i have a clamp broken on cm871 turbo, its the one that holds the boost side of turbo towards the fan, i have another clamp that i can put on but i see oil blowing out, my question is do i need to replace the whole turbo or just the clamp, truck is at rest area, is it safe to drive it to shop after clamp is on or i need to get it towed, i heard about these engines run away due to oil blowing in air intake. Engine is just demandated and it was done by one of the best guy on forum.[attachment=8386]
Replace the clamp, check your shaft for play and make sure it didn't chew into the housing. Remove the outlet horn (to the cac) before you start it and make sure it's not pushing out oil. (with no back pressure, some oil may be present).
it is not normal for that clamp to give way like that.

someone needs to ensure that turbo outlet was not in a bind, possibly hitting hood, or something.. also check engine mounts are ok, etc. .. to find the underlying cause.

Also .. you need to be extremely cautious with that turbo after that type of failure. if that turbine has gotten out of balance.. if it is out of balance bad enough, then it may fail when under high rpm and loads .. and can indeed come apart and cause an engine runaway. Just giving you the warning.
(05-04-2022 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]it is not normal for that clamp to give way like that.

someone needs to ensure that turbo outlet was not in a bind, possibly hitting hood, or something.. also check engine mounts are ok, etc. .. to find the underlying cause.

Also .. you need to be extremely cautious with that turbo after that type of failure. if that turbine has gotten out of balance.. if it is out of balance bad enough, then it may fail when under high rpm and loads .. and can indeed come apart and cause an engine runaway. Just giving you the warning.

Thank you Rawze, it helped.
(05-04-2022 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]Replace the clamp, check your shaft for play and make sure it didn't chew into the housing. Remove the outlet horn (to the cac) before you start it and make sure it's not pushing out oil. (with no back pressure, some oil may be present).
Thanks, I will do that.
(05-05-2022 )tariqzai Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2022 )Nostalgic Wrote: [ -> ]Replace the clamp, check your shaft for play and make sure it didn't chew into the housing. Remove the outlet horn (to the cac) before you start it and make sure it's not pushing out oil. (with no back pressure, some oil may be present).
Thanks, I will do that.

i checked the turbo fan and it had some play, enough to hit the housing when i pushed it up with my finger, brought truck home and going to replace turbo. thanks for help.
(05-04-2022 )Rawze Wrote: [ -> ]it is not normal for that clamp to give way like that.

your warning is right, turbo did suffer some damage, also i noticed soot around egr cooler's flex pipe (photo) looks like it was leaking for some time, engine just been demanded, my question is do i need to replace the egr cooler or there is some easy fix for that.
[attachment=8388]
(05-06-2022 )tariqzai Wrote: [ -> ]... do i need to replace the egr cooler or there is some easy fix for that.

I would say to clean it up and see if it comes back, now that it is demandated.
Reference URL's