Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Cm870 swapped for a cm2250
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a project truck that I recently been working on. It's a 07 international 9400i, tractor came with a cm870 but had a hole in the block. I came across a great deal on a complete cm2250. So long story short is I've got it all installed in the tractor, but as some might know the wiring is totally different between the two. Next to buying a kustom harness has anyone ever wired this kind of set up before?
I am thinking that was not a good idea. If you got that engine for half cost or something ridiculous enough to even consider that idea ... then you should have re-sold the 2250 for profit and found another 870.

Let also me get the legalities out of the way...
First and foremost, if the entire emissions + DEF systems for that CM2250 were not also installed, then the truck is illegal to drive in the USA. -= The emissions requirements goes with the engine, not the truck. This means that whatever shop installs it, is also liable for any EPA fines in the future as well (up to $40,000/day for each day it is no the roads).

I seriously doubt anyone considered this fact before such a decision was made... and i also doubt anyone would be willing to install the DPF, DOC, SCR, and DEF system under that truck.. so this also means that it is deleted too.. (de-mandated).

I don't have issue with that.. just stating the facts that no one likely considered.

next: is the wiring problems. A lot of those old 9900i trucks with 870's in them had a J1708 network based dash instead of a the J1939 based network in that CM2250 ecm. This means that there is a high chance for that ecm is not even compatible with that truck at all, depends on year, etc.

And before it is done.. someone will have to make a proper de-mandate program for it, or at least review what was done in the programming, .. as I am sure that whatever shop was used, is 90% likely only going to put some garbage delete program in that ecm any ways... even if they do get it working.

just my thoughts.. the beer is flowing...

So a custom harness may or may not even make it work. These engines and ecm's are from 2 completely different eras, and some make/model trucks back then had only J1708 in them.

I.E> you opened a big can of worms there that, for the most part, is not worth any kind of "special deal" on that newer engine due to the moneys lost with it in extra down-time + all the headaches and extra expenses to make it work. Maybe a converter harness + a lot of unknowns getting it to work? ... but all in all, just not worth pursuing for a typical truck owner. .. And then all this to only later on, in a few years, possibly get a huge fine if you get inspected in Cali, NJ, or some other western state(s) that starts to do emissions inspections (they are coming, you watch and see).
Reference URL's