Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: DEF doser
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Swapping out the DEF doser, there is the white powder and crystallization present so I figure I'll get it out of there. The coolant and fuel lines and plug are already moved over and the new doser is tucked aside for now.

Unfortunately, one of the small bolts did snap off. The other two were easy. I was gentle as could be but I could tell it was about to break. At least I have a stud to work with. Any ideas to remove it? I don't have access to a welder at this time. I have a drill and thin bits...

Before I reattach I want to inspect, of course. The conduit where this doser attaches is, I'm guessing the reactor decomposition tube? Now, I'd like to remove that tube and look to see if your "volcano" buildup is there. (which will also help me get that broken bolt out with some elbow room.) Question is, would you replace those two clamps that hold this tube? They look okay.

Also, once I crack that seal under the clamps, are there gaskets? If so I'm sure they need to go...
heating it with map-gas until it and surrounding area glows dull red then grabbing onto it with a vice grip really tight to work it out gently?.

other than that.. welding something to the end of it... and getting it dull red to get it out that way.
IDK if you have access to a "mini-ducter", but those work really well for heating the broken stud up and like Rawze said, grab it as tight as you can and wiggle (twist) it out with a vice grip.

As for the clamps, most times the threads on the nut/stud strip out coming off and you're forced to replace them anyways. If they survive coming off then there's a good chance they'll strip out going back on. I make sure I have the clamps on hand just in case. I've stripped/broken and had to cut off more of those clamps than I've been able to spare.
The volcano was in effect. I did not replace the clamps, just the gaskets.

I chipped off what I could, then used concentrated cleaner to break down the crystallized chunks of DEF in the tube grating. Everything is back together now. I will get a chance to run it ina day or so and I am sure there will be an improvement.
(11-14-2023 )NDISX15 Wrote: [ -> ]As for the clamps, most times the threads on the nut/stud strip out coming off and you're forced to replace them anyways. If they survive coming off then there's a good chance they'll strip out going back on. I make sure I have the clamps on hand just in case. I've stripped/broken and had to cut off more of those clamps than I've been able to spare.

You are correct; the nuts on every similar clamp on this truck has been stripped and nicked and threatening to jam up on the thread. I like Seafoam's Deep Creep, their answer to PB Blaster. I Deep Creep the bolts and nuts multiple times on these type of clamps and it has saved all but one, the clamp over at the DPF doser.
The only way to remove a lot of those clamp without breaking or stripping them is to heat them with a map-gas torch until they glow dull red before working them loose.
Now that is an awesome picture illustrating what a DEF volcano might look like.
Reference URL's