Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more

Full Version: Timing wedges not sitting right
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Cummins isx cm871. We are currently throwing a new head on it. Story of this motor. Truck locked up in January. We put a reviva motor in it in February. Truck made it 1000 miles before a bolt rattled loose in the head that reviva forgot to tighten. Broke all exhaust bridges. They sent us a new head and all parts. This is the first head we have done in this shop and my boss has never done one. I am the only mechanic. I’ve looked at many videos and it looks like my wedges aren’t sitting right in the head. My valves wedge(6) looks fine but the injector wedge (4) looks like it’s sitting way too high. My boss bought the wedges kit from amazon using the Cummins number any help would be great [attachment=9441]
[attachment=9442]
the wedge looks crooked in the head...

[attachment=9449]
ALSO.. IF YOU (OR WHOEVER DID IT) DID NOT BUILD THE ENGINE TO THESE ADDED SPECIFICATIONS.. THEN IT WILL NOT LAST VERY LONG ANY WAYS...

REF: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid70606
[attachment=9450] here is an updated picture but it still doesn’t look like it sits low enough
(04-24-2024 )Kaiden113 Wrote: [ -> ]here is an updated picture but it still doesn’t look like it sits low enough

I talk about and show the timing wedges in this video... particurlarly at the 1:30~ish mark...

also for a CM871 .. its always a #4 wedge for the injector cam. Make sure your using the right wedge. .. and make sure your wedge is up to proper spec. vs. an oem wedge.

Here is a close-up from the video at 7:26. This is the OEM tool from cummins, and a brand new OEM head ...
[attachment=9451]
As the picture shows, the OEM wedge has a line scribed on it (from factory) that is even with the top of the head when its sitting in the right place. Also, the back of the wedge is also rounded and fits snug into the rounded cut-out on the head without a gap.

Also note how much deeper mine is sitting compared to yours....
[attachment=9452][attachment=9453]

is yours an OEM head?.

If not then it may not have been machined quite right.. also.. you should never use a non-oem head on an ISX. The quality is s$it, and it will usually only last for only a few years at most, and need replacing for one reason or another.. costing you big-time!.

Follow the link I mentioned above and do everything 100% as mentioned if you want something built properly. Otherwise it is at the peril of longevity.
Reference URL's