Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
How does the oil bypass valve work? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: How does the oil bypass valve work? (/showthread.php?tid=1026)

How does the oil bypass valve work? - Brock - 10-18-2016

I am curious about the relief or bypass spring valve in the oil filter base. I see there is a update, bulletin 4908439. I tried to buy the update but they sold me the original.

I am curious how this bypass works? at a certain psi does it open and feed oil back into the cooler? what is the psi?

Any idea what the update fixed?

RE: How does the oil bypass valve work? - Hammerhead - 10-18-2016

So according to this bulletin, all ISX's are affected prior to April 2015 then?
You purchased part # 4357177, and it was the old style pictured in the bulletin they say to discard? That doesn't seem right.
How much was the part?
Thanks Brock, it's only a lubricating oil related part...now I'm stressing! I need beer!

As far as how it works, from Quickserve:
Whenever the pressure drop across the lubricating oil filter exceeds 862 kPa [125 psi], the oil filter bypass valve opens and allows lubricating oil to bypass the lubricating oil filter.

This condition can occur during cold ambient (cold lubricating oil) engine start-ups.

The purpose of the bypass valve is to maintain lubricating oil flow to the engine and prevent an oil filter collapse.

RE: How does the oil bypass valve work? - Brock - 10-18-2016

I don't know what my problem is with quickserve but I can never find anything, couldn't even search for this bulletin. i had to Google it, maybe it doesn't like my mobile browser.

Thanks hammer

RE: How does the oil bypass valve work? - Rawze - 10-19-2016

(10-18-2016 )Brock Wrote:  I am curious about the relief or bypass spring valve in the oil filter base. I see there is a update, bulletin 4908439. I tried to buy the update but they sold me the original.

I am curious how this bypass works? at a certain psi does it open and feed oil back into the cooler? what is the psi?

Any idea what the update fixed?

It works like this ...