Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Whinning sound front cover - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Whinning sound front cover (/showthread.php?tid=1647)

Pages: 1 2 3

Whinning sound front cover - Rockycoon75 - 04-02-2017

Whinning sound under front cover. I started truck to leave out sounded fine. On my way to pickup trailer I heard a whinning start. It sounds like it coming from the front cover. Oil pressure is normal. Sprayed wd on idler pullies. Sound increases with rpm

RE: Whinning sound front cover - Rawze - 04-02-2017

is it a medium tone gear-train noise at idle that goes up in pitch with RPM??

That is usually a sign of a failing oil pump. Pressure is not always an indicator of this.

RE: Whinning sound front cover - Rockycoon75 - 04-02-2017

Yes. Sounds like a gear drive like people used to run in hot rod Chevy motors. So much for stealership rebuilds.

Can hear it whin from about 15-20 ft away

RE: Whinning sound front cover - Rawze - 04-02-2017

This may be relevant too..

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1627&pid=13885#pid13885

How long are the pumps good for? Mine was replaced 14 months ago during a overhaul

RE: Whinning sound front cover - Waterloo - 04-03-2017

Could just be a faulty pump, it happens. I know some of the Cummins parts carry a two year warranty, maybe that pump is one of them, if it is your pump.

RE: Whinning sound front cover - Signature620 - 04-03-2017

You could have lost some hard facing on one of the gears at the front or a worn shaft inside the oil pump.

RE: Whinning sound front cover - Rockycoon75 - 04-03-2017

Found a chunk of gear tooth under the oil pump laying in the pan. (I have a rear sump pan) not sure where it came from don't see any broken teeth down low. Also some fine shavings in the pan. Now wondering if I put it back together if warranty will cover it. Figured I could fix it faster if it was just the pump but looks more in-depth than that