Whinning sound front cover
04-02-2017, (Subject: Whinning sound front cover ) 
Whinning sound front cover
Whinning sound under front cover. I started truck to leave out sounded fine. On my way to pickup trailer I heard a whinning start. It sounds like it coming from the front cover. Oil pressure is normal. Sprayed wd on idler pullies. Sound increases with rpm
replyreply
RE: Whinning sound front cover
is it a medium tone gear-train noise at idle that goes up in pitch with RPM??

That is usually a sign of a failing oil pump. Pressure is not always an indicator of this.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
Yes. Sounds like a gear drive like people used to run in hot rod Chevy motors. So much for stealership rebuilds.
replyreply
Can hear it whin from about 15-20 ft away
replyreply
This may be relevant too..

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13885

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
How long are the pumps good for? Mine was replaced 14 months ago during a overhaul
replyreply
04-03-2017, (Subject: Whinning sound front cover ) 
Could just be a faulty pump, it happens. I know some of the Cummins parts carry a two year warranty, maybe that pump is one of them, if it is your pump.
replyreply
You could have lost some hard facing on one of the gears at the front or a worn shaft inside the oil pump.
replyreply
Found a chunk of gear tooth under the oil pump laying in the pan. (I have a rear sump pan) not sure where it came from don't see any broken teeth down low. Also some fine shavings in the pan. Now wondering if I put it back together if warranty will cover it. Figured I could fix it faster if it was just the pump but looks more in-depth than that
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.