Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... (/showthread.php?tid=2969)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Brock - 04-04-2018

Moved cities and left the old money pit behind as it was broke down anyways. Finally got a day off so I went back to get it, it's only died 15 times so far haha! I'm determined to limp it home 5 hour drive so I'm able to finally fix it! Kinda miss this truck. Recap....

[attachment=3791]

Here's my active code, I'll check it in insite later but if I remember from 6 months ago when I was trying to solve this problem..... i think the code and trouble shooting tree led me nowhere.

Fired truck up, ran for 20 min smoking some blue as it sat all winter.. .. then it died, started 6 times and would die instantly then run for a minute or 2, very inconsistent.

But then I started it and noticed the engine fan staying on, truck ran for a hour without dying. Stalled a few times before I got the road. Wiggle all the wires I want, changes nothing.

Start driving and it cuts power for a second or two, no throttle and kicks cruise off but then after almost stalling out, fan turns on and trucks fine...... driven for 2 hours now and the fans still on, went over some savage bumps and didn't phase the truck but when I slow down to turn onto another highway then give it throttle, engine triangle light and cuts power for a second or two.

Brand new batteries, all connections cleaned, every ground taken off, grinded and hooked back, all fuses replaced with new and fuse slots cleaned with nail file, big fuses on firewall replaced and all connections cleaned, pins to ecm look fine, can't find broken wires anywhere. Seen a couple talk about a fuse in the battery box or behind it, I have yet to locate this one but the mechanic was diwn there and said there wasn't one.... I'll check myself and trace the whole ecm power wire again now that it'll be home.

I grabbed a spare ecm but it's from a 870 demandated, mechanic figures ittl work good enough for diagnosing even though mines a 871.

2008 Prostar 871 eaton autoshift.

Please chime in any ideas as lord knows I need them! I will update as I go.

I've been chasing this problem since August 2017 and had a thread going before, this is s continuation. I thought it was fixed before but broke down coming home from the dealership so I gave up and parked it...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2086

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Hammerhead - 04-04-2018

Good luck buddy...
If your number hasn't changed, next time I'm up in GP I'll give you a shout.
Beers on me

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Starlight - 04-04-2018

Hi there Brock. I fixed this axact issue on a 09 871 one time. It was a intermittently shorted starter that fed power into the ground system. Any part of the engine or the frame had voltage and then the next time engine was cranked there was no more voltage. At the next crank there was voltage on ground again. There was never voltage on the cab. One ground strap between the starter and the block had heated and had no more insulation. Long story short after the starter and ground repair the ecm didnt last a week more as voltage had been fed backwards into the ecm through the ground. Replaced it and all was good. Might be something to closely look at. This was a 39mt starter. Needless to say it was a real head scratcher as it took me days to find and fix.

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Brock - 04-04-2018

I know the starter was recently replaced, less then 6 months on my old one and the body had come loose so I had the mechanic just put a new one on..... I'll check if something got missed or is loose, great idea.

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Starlight - 04-04-2018

This one had intermittent dying the week prior to me getting to it. When i was called it had died and wouldnt start anymore but after the starter it did start and run for another week.

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Chamberpains - 04-05-2018

another thing to look really close at on the starter is make sure all your cables are mounted so that there is plenty of distance between each of the wires from the different studs. I have seen many times where guys mount the wiring and in the process of tightening the nuts they spin the wires into each other or get them so close that they will Ark in two different circuits. I would also check to make sure they didn't accidentally put a ground wire on a positive.

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Rawze - 04-05-2018

Have you tried smacking the top of the ECM with the handle of a large screwdriver while it is runing? ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2689&pid=23016#pid23016

and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1447&pid=12320#pid12320

===

and did you check the other areas i suggested in this post...?
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=469&pid=3505#pid3505

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Brock - 04-05-2018

Yes I did back before winter, you suggested these things in the thread I linked above. I will check and double check again now that I have it home.

RE: Finally bringing Prostar home to fix.... - Brock - 04-05-2018

Peterbilt has a blown head gasket and prostar has this stupid issue..... least my western star isn't dead yet.............