Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: International Trucks Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar (/showthread.php?tid=3254)

Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - ksmech11 - 06-27-2018

2011 Prostar. Driver complains the steering wheel shakes 60-70mph. Not always and doesnt change the direction of truck. The steering shaft has a little play. Not much more then any of my other trucks. The u joints are tight and well lubed. Is it possible the slip yoke between the two halves of shaft are bad?

RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - Rawze - 06-27-2018

Sounds like out of balance tires to me.

The steering shaft does wear out though, I have had to replace mine 2 times in a million miles even though it stays well greased. When they wear out, it is an annoying knocking sound + vibration when hitting bumps like there is a bad u-joint.

RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - Jdphill62 - 06-27-2018

Master balance an centralmatic help me greatly better tire and less wheel hop

RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - redtick - 06-27-2018

Check u-bolts and center bolt on the leaf spring. A broken center bolt will allow the axle to shift back and forth.

RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - ksmech11 - 06-27-2018

I have to say thanks yall! I checked springs. All good. The tire on this unit were installed before i started with this company. A little uneven wear on tires. Pulled them and found glass bead equal and alot of tire mounting lube in one tire and some kinda liquid in the other tire. I replaced with some good used tires and put centermatic balancers on. I didnt feel any issue. Going to have the driver run with a load today. I had no idea the the balancers were so cheap. Thanks again!

RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - hhow55 - 06-27-2018

Used tire, not good idea on steer axle.Have you every had a steer tire fail? I have, it's not fun event.

RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - Rawze - 06-27-2018

(06-27-2018 )hhow55 Wrote:  Used tire, not good idea on steer axle.Have you every had a steer tire fail? I have, it's not fun event.

I'm with hhow55 on this one. Last steer tire that blew out on me cost me more than $3000 in damaged parts alone.

RE: Steering wheel shake 2011 Prostar - ksmech11 - 06-28-2018

The used tires were a temporary thing. Couldnt get tires delivered til this morning. Im putting virgins on now. Thanks y'all!