Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt (/showthread.php?tid=5241)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - tree98 - 11-01-2019

I'm just wondering if they crack and break because the manifold slip joints freeze up and the manifold can no longer expand and contract like its supposed to?

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - Rawze - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  did some prodding around and turns out there are 2 broken bolts, both the bolts for the cylinder closest to the fire wall. The top one was laying on top of the exhaust manifold a few days ago, today I grabbed the bottom one and literally just pulled it right out!! What would cause these to just break off by themselves?

this is why...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=4634&pid=39699#pid39699

I have the tool and have done this a few times.

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - Rawze - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  $780.00 shipped

for $780, that ridiculous. A person can just drill out some angle iron to fit a bolt hole or 2 and tack-weld on a drill-bit guide, make their own for a few bucks!. -- https://amzn.to/36mDYyN

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - Andre_The_Giant - 11-02-2019

I agree with Rawze, 780 is way too much money... But i do wish i used a jig when i had to Helicoil one of my holes.... It did not go in perfectly straight =( luckily it seems to still be holding for now (60,000miles). Though the though of ruining my head due to not making a jig for that makes me feel stupid..

My other advise is - Look At The over all condition of the manifold!!! if its rusted to hell maybe its time for a new one. I had brand new bolts brake me a few times, I lost threads in the head because of the stress/tension of just that one bolt holding things together. I followed all of the torque procedures, new bolt, and reaming recommendations. I found that the surface area where the spacers meet the manifold were just beyond repair for mine

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - tree98 - 11-02-2019

I thought it was ridiculous also, unless you break off 8 bolts and have to drill them out, then it kinda seems like a deal, lol. I won't need it anyway, I only had to get the two already broken ones out because I didn't break anymore. One came right out , the other I had to drill through it and crush the sides in until I could work it out, wasn't fun but I got it.

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - tree98 - 11-05-2019

Update... I put the manifold back on and was torqueing the bolts to 45 lb. as quickserve says. I got to the one I had to drill out and as it got tighter it all of the sudden got easier to turn, uh oh, apparantly I boogered up the threads a little to much to straighten out with a tap.Soooooo after some close examination I realized the bolts don't go the full distance of the threaded hole in the head. Theres about 5/16" of thread that the bolt doesn't reach. So I cut 5/16" off of the spacer on a lathe and torqued it down to 45 lb. No problem. I'm thinking I dodged a bullet here but I guess time will tell??

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - Unilevers - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Update... I put the manifold back on and was torqueing the bolts to 45 lb. as quickserve says. I got to the one I had to drill out and as it got tighter it all of the sudden got easier to turn, uh oh, apparantly I boogered up the threads a little to much to straighten out with a tap.Soooooo after some close examination I realized the bolts don't go the full distance of the threaded hole in the head. Theres about 5/16" of thread that the bolt doesn't reach. So I cut 5/16" off of the spacer on a lathe and torqued it down to 45 lb. No problem. I'm thinking I dodged a bullet here but I guess time will tell??

it will be fine. go drive it.

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - Pete1990 - 11-06-2019

(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  What you guys think about this thing?

https://www.brokenbolt.com/cummins-isx-broken-bolt-demo.php

Its specifically for broken isx exhaust manifold bolts. I talked to the guy that makes them, he said it takes 8 minutes to drill a broken bolt out with this thing. He guarantees it to work, it's not cheap but either is a new head if you screw it up.

I Have this tool at the house. Paid the almost $800 for it and it worked like a charm. Set the drill bit stop so u don't drill to far and put a coil in the hole and ur done.

RE: 870 broken exhaust manifold bolt - tree98 - 11-06-2019

(11-06-2019 )Pete1990 Wrote:  
(11-01-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  What you guys think about this thing?

https://www.brokenbolt.com/cummins-isx-broken-bolt-demo.php

Its specifically for broken isx exhaust manifold bolts. I talked to the guy that makes them, he said it takes 8 minutes to drill a broken bolt out with this thing. He guarantees it to work, it's not cheap but either is a new head if you screw it up.

I Have this tool at the house. Paid the almost $800 for it and it worked like a charm. Set the drill bit stop so u don't drill to far and put a coil in the hole and ur done.

I would have bought it if I snapped off a bunch of the bolts. Since I had just one to get out I decided against it. Truth be told I wish I would have just bought it. Good tools are expensive, that's just the reality.