Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Oil around exhaust manifold. - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Oil around exhaust manifold. (/showthread.php?tid=5762)

Pages: 1 2

Oil around exhaust manifold. - Mrkentee - 01-30-2020

[attachment=6217]

Just noticed this oil near exhaust manifold. #5 cylinder. CM 871. 425k on reman head.
Anything to be concerned about? Just trying to be proactive.
No other symptoms.

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - tree98 - 01-30-2020

Valve seals most likely. Nothing you can do except replace the head, and with that mileage it would basically mean in frame time. How much oil is it using?

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - Mrkentee - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Valve seals most likely. Nothing you can do except replace the head, and with that mileage it would basically mean in frame time. How much oil is it using?

No increase in oil use. Can’t the seals be replaced without taking the head off?

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - hhow55 - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Valve seals most likely. Nothing you can do except replace the head, and with that mileage it would basically mean in frame time. How much oil is it using?

No increase in oil use. Can’t the seals be replaced without taking the head off?

Yes, they can.

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - Rawze - 01-31-2020

i would not worry about it unless you start seeing a lot of smoke out the exhaust or oil consumption goes up.

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - Chamberpains - 01-31-2020

Mine had that same oil coming out of cylinder 6. It had a broken manifold bolt. Tore it apart to fix the broken bolt. Everything checked out fine. If anything, hose it down with brake clean and check it for exhaust leaking.

Hammerhead had a fun little trick of smoking a cigar, while its running, around the port to see if its leaking. Maybe fire up the truck and a stogie to see if there is a leak.

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - tree98 - 01-31-2020

The question would be, is it worth it? My opinion it wouldn't be.

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - Mr Hagg - 01-31-2020

Also if doing alot of idling the cylinder can wet stack this may be the issue. Check crankcase filter if haven't already change it out to maintenance free one. And like said before may be a exhaust leak there..

RE: Oil around exhaust manifold. - Mrkentee - 01-31-2020

(01-31-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  

The question would be, is it worth it? My opinion it wouldn't be.
Its not a huge job, from what I can tell.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1034&page=2