Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
ISX engine surging - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: ISX engine surging (/showthread.php?tid=617)

Pages: 1 2

ISX engine surging - Roysbigtoys - 07-12-2016

I have a 09' 386 Peterbilt, 485 ISX, 520k miles. About 6 months ago the mandate was removed ( a member on the forum programmed it and I did the mechanical part) and it has been running GREAT.
Today I first noticed that under acceleration it would rev freely up to 1500rpm.....then it was like a governor kicked in.....would only slowly gain speed. Gauges looked good, but the check engine light was on. It then started surging while I was holding the throttle still. The longer I drove, the less power I had.
I limped it back to my shop and will tackle it in the morning.
I finally have insite, but this will be the first time of me using by myself. What tests should I run? What else should I look for?

RE: ISX engine surging - Wiseman - 07-12-2016

Where did you fuel last time ? Do you have see true filter ? If you have one , where's the level ? When did you last change your fuel filters ? Let's start with the simple things . Then check your fuel pressure. See what codes you have . It's properly programmed . It shouldn't switch in different mode itself .
To me sounds like fuel starvation. Any smoke?

RE: ISX engine surging - Nilao - 07-13-2016

Agree with wiseman. Change fuel filters first. Bet you have a fuel pressure code.

RE: ISX engine surging - Roysbigtoys - 07-13-2016

(07-12-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Where did you fuel last time ? Do you have see true filter ? If you have one , where's the level ? When did you last change your fuel filters ? Let's start with the simple things . Then check your fuel pressure. See what codes you have . It's properly programmed . It shouldn't switch in different mode itself .
To me sounds like fuel starvation. Any smoke?

I only have the factory filters....no see thru.
The filters have about 10k miles on them. I agree with you on starting with the simple things.
No smoke .......... it did a lot before the mandate was removed.

RE: ISX engine surging - Roysbigtoys - 07-13-2016

Wiseman and Nilao you guys were right........ new fuel filters took care of my problem.
I have never had them slowly deteriorate like that. Usually you are running just fine and then it is like someone shut the fuel off. Thanks for the help!

RE: ISX engine surging - Wiseman - 07-13-2016

Glad to hear that .
Check for algae in your thanks. Damn biodiesel.....

RE: ISX engine surging - simon999 - 07-15-2016

(07-13-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Glad to hear that .
Check for algae in your thanks. Damn biodiesel.....
Yes algae is horrible thing. My filters were clogging like every 6000miles and were black. I put some additive and next oil change black chunks fell from my fuel filter housing. Took about a month to clean everything out.
[attachment=1701]
$30 paid at local marine store.

RE: ISX engine surging - fish hooks - 07-20-2016

im having somewhat same issue as other driver but mine is a 2012 and I changed both filters and when im loaded and put my foot into it to clime hill manifold press hits 32 engine light comes on and I lose power till pressure drops down code 0559 fuel rail pressure ? any one help I haven't been able to fix yet

RE: ISX engine surging - Rawze - 07-20-2016

(07-20-2016 )fish hooks Wrote:  im having somewhat same issue as other driver but mine is a 2012 and I changed both filters and when im loaded and put my foot into it to clime hill manifold press hits 32 engine light comes on and I lose power till pressure drops down code 0559 fuel rail pressure ? any one help I haven't been able to fix yet

Trash in the fuel lines or clogging filters?

Bad regulator or bypass valve?

Bad pump?