ISX engine surging
07-12-2016, (Subject: ISX engine surging ) 
ISX engine surging
I have a 09' 386 Peterbilt, 485 ISX, 520k miles. About 6 months ago the mandate was removed ( a member on the forum programmed it and I did the mechanical part) and it has been running GREAT.
Today I first noticed that under acceleration it would rev freely up to 1500rpm.....then it was like a governor kicked in.....would only slowly gain speed. Gauges looked good, but the check engine light was on. It then started surging while I was holding the throttle still. The longer I drove, the less power I had.
I limped it back to my shop and will tackle it in the morning.
I finally have insite, but this will be the first time of me using by myself. What tests should I run? What else should I look for?
replyreply
07-12-2016, (Subject: ISX engine surging ) 
RE: ISX engine surging
Where did you fuel last time ? Do you have see true filter ? If you have one , where's the level ? When did you last change your fuel filters ? Let's start with the simple things . Then check your fuel pressure. See what codes you have . It's properly programmed . It shouldn't switch in different mode itself .
To me sounds like fuel starvation. Any smoke?
replyreply
07-13-2016, (Subject: ISX engine surging ) 
Agree with wiseman. Change fuel filters first. Bet you have a fuel pressure code.
replyreply
(07-12-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Where did you fuel last time ? Do you have see true filter ? If you have one , where's the level ? When did you last change your fuel filters ? Let's start with the simple things . Then check your fuel pressure. See what codes you have . It's properly programmed . It shouldn't switch in different mode itself .
To me sounds like fuel starvation. Any smoke?

I only have the factory filters....no see thru.
The filters have about 10k miles on them. I agree with you on starting with the simple things.
No smoke .......... it did a lot before the mandate was removed.
replyreply
Wiseman and Nilao you guys were right........ new fuel filters took care of my problem.
I have never had them slowly deteriorate like that. Usually you are running just fine and then it is like someone shut the fuel off. Thanks for the help!
replyreply
Glad to hear that .
Check for algae in your thanks. Damn biodiesel.....
replyreply
07-15-2016, (Subject: ISX engine surging ) 
(07-13-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Glad to hear that .
Check for algae in your thanks. Damn biodiesel.....
Yes algae is horrible thing. My filters were clogging like every 6000miles and were black. I put some additive and next oil change black chunks fell from my fuel filter housing. Took about a month to clean everything out.
./uploads/201607/post_608_1468593753_e92fa4ba7d30f3971e5199cb10322118.jpg
$30 paid at local marine store.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
07-20-2016, (Subject: ISX engine surging ) 
im having somewhat same issue as other driver but mine is a 2012 and I changed both filters and when im loaded and put my foot into it to clime hill manifold press hits 32 engine light comes on and I lose power till pressure drops down code 0559 fuel rail pressure ? any one help I haven't been able to fix yet
replyreply
07-20-2016, (Subject: ISX engine surging ) 
(07-20-2016 )fish hooks Wrote:  im having somewhat same issue as other driver but mine is a 2012 and I changed both filters and when im loaded and put my foot into it to clime hill manifold press hits 32 engine light comes on and I lose power till pressure drops down code 0559 fuel rail pressure ? any one help I haven't been able to fix yet

Trash in the fuel lines or clogging filters?

Bad regulator or bypass valve?

Bad pump?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.