2011 Electrical fault gremlins
07-29-2017, (Subject: 2011 Electrical fault gremlins ) 
2011 Electrical fault gremlins
So I've got a 2011 ProStar and I've had it for about a year and a half. I purchased it with 450,000 miles on it and it's turned just over 600,000. It seems like I'm chasing one problem after another and as of late they are stacking up faster than I can afford to properly repair. There of been lots of little things like exhaust manifold bolts breaking off in the cylinder head which aren't complicated but a hassle to fix or the AC compressor failing for odd reasons. Not just the typical things like bad thermistors but weird ones like bearing failure on the compressor or a faulty compressor from Napa that sent debris through the system when it failed. I've actually got a laundry list of things I've had to do to the truck to keep things going but this one is just frustrating the heck out of me. There is also a small laundry list of issues with the truck that I can focus on later on but this one definitely would put me out of service if I tried to drive and a DOT officer took notice.

Recently I drove into some rain and every single one of my gauges started acting up and the low air pressure buzzer started going off because those gauges dropped to zero. Mechanically the truck ran fine and I still had turn signals, headlights, wipers, horn. To finish out my day I downloaded a Speedometer app. Once the rain quit and of the truck dried out everything went back to normal. The next day I drove into a light rain and it started doing it again except this time only about half the gauges failed. This time around after it dried out only the spa diameter, tachometer, oil temperature, water temperature, and oil pressure recovered. I disconnected the battery cables for about 30 minutes at the end of the day and nothing changed.

I had my wife take a quick video to show what it started doing shortly after we drove into the rain for the first time. Hopefully the link I will try to post works.

I know there is a body control module behind a kick panel by the clutch. I took the time to inspect it and all the pin connectors and of the harness and nothing appeared to be pulling out or shorting out or had moisture.

I went through all the bulkhead connectors at the firewall and was searching for signs of moisture infiltration. I wish I would've found an issue but I haven't yet so I cleaned and regreased with dielectric grease and reassembled all of them.

I don't know if the BCM is been damaged by a short somewhere in the wiring that I have yet to find. I would hate to just replace it without finding the root cause of the problem but I need to do something since I have compromised gauges with no engine brake, Cruise control, or interior lights that aren't on a switch.

Suggestions please and thank you very much for your input

Carlos Martinez (317)-414-3374
New owner op currently leased with HubGroup Trucking out of Indianapolis
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
2011 Electrical fault gremlins - Muchos189 - 07-29-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.