Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap?
08-01-2017, (Subject: Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap? ) 
RE: Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap?
I carry;
1) (2) 20 ton bottle jacks, I use them to lift/adjust loads if I need to as well.
2) 3/4" drive torque wrench
3) 3/4" air impact gun, and hose for it and filling tires as well
4) 3/4" breaker bar
5) sledge hammer
6) a pair of Tire bars, one regular and one spoon
7) tire mounting lube (tide works great) and a brush
8) cordless tire grinder, for patches
9) tire patch kit (prep cleaner, glue, patches, patch roller)
10) spare valve stems, valve cores, a plug kit
11) mounted spare tire
12) dont tell the EPA, I carry ether instead of a blaster. I do have a blaster at the shop.

I pack the first 5 items for other purposes as well, so adding the things I needed to fix a tire wasn't a big deal for me.
I get routed all over the back roads with these OS loads, so trying to give a tire shop truck directions can be pointless at times. Also, waiting on the side of the road when your wider than a lane for any longer than necessary isn't a very safe practice.
Basically, short of more than one spare tire, I am my tire repair shop. But then I have 34 of them, so my chances of needing one are more than double most. I know that's not twice as many tires, but being oversize I have to move onto the rumble strip (flat tire getters) often.
My repair order is;
1) can I safely move off the road? Yes=do it, No=call police.
2) can it be plugged? Yes, plug and go.
3) will a change to spare be quick? Yes, change and go.
4) at the end of the day, dismount tire, remove plug and patch with proper tire repair.
5) removal, and breaking the head on the side of the road is only a last resort.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tools needed to do your own road side tire swap? - Hammerhead - 08-01-2017

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.