Injector replacement didn't solve my issue, thoughts?
01-16-2017, (Subject: Injector replacement didn't solve my issue, thoughts? ) 
Injector replacement didn't solve my issue, thoughts?
Well, like the title says I'm pretty sure I've got an injector that is giving up on me.
Truck sounds like it's got a miss in the 1450-1650 range under torque, and boost was down 3-4psi. I dumped in some PS Diesel Kleen in the hopes of trying to limp myself home. Boost & power have come back, and miss isn't as sharp but still there.
Unilevers suggested manifold or turbo gasket or CAC leak, but using someTerm I overrode the turbo to 90% and couldn't find a leak. Now after the Diesel Kleen and boost returning to normal, I'm pretty sure it's a spark plug. It passed all tests in Insite, but that don't mean much. I've had leaky ones pass before.
I'm delivering tomorrow, then thinking of finding a place to park and change an injector in a parking lot. This is on a CM871.
I don't carry in the truck with me;
-injector leak tester
-inch pound dial torque wrench
-crows feet for torquing the lock nuts
-heel bar to pull injectors (but I do have a few pry bars)

Kinda thinking that I can make do with what I've got with me, except the dial torque wrench. Any suggestions where to get an inexpensive one just to do this and readjust everything when I get home?
Anything else I'm missing?

There's a Home Depot within walking distance of where I'm unloading to get a couple buckets for the coolant. I pack click type in/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches but I just don't think truck bounce and shaking would be very kind to the dial which is why I don't pack it. That and a guys just got to make choices in confined spaces.
Open to suggestions...

Edited to add: oh yeah, I'll get a turkey baster and Q-tips from Walmart next HD to clean the oil out of the head and bolt holes properly as well...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
RE: Parking lot injector replacement
If you would be near where I live, I would lend you mine, that's what the pm box is for
replyreply
(01-16-2017 )Running rough Wrote:  If you would be near where I live, I would lend you mine, that's what the pm box is for

I appreciate the offer very much. One of the privileges I enjoy and share with the forum members.
I am unloading in Inglewood, CA. If you are anywhere near there, I'm happily take you or anyone else up on an offer like that. Just shoot me a PM.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Oh shucks, that is a long long way, from were I'm at, lol, you know where the tank farm is at, up in ab, am not to far from there
replyreply
(01-16-2017 )Running rough Wrote:  Oh shucks, that is a long long way, from were I'm at, lol, you know where the tank farm is at, up in ab, am not to far from there

Well, my shop is in Stony Plain, and the offer is open to you as well anytime.
I know exactly where said tank farm is, I've moved equipment in and out of there during construction.
Thank You!

replyreply
welcome to stop in for a tour and coffee
replyreply
01-17-2017, (Subject: Injector replacement didn't solve my issue, thoughts? ) 
(01-16-2017 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Well, like the title says I'm pretty sure I've got an injector that is giving up on me.
Truck sounds like it's got a miss in the 1450-1650 range under torque, and boost was down 3-4psi. I dumped in some PS Diesel Kleen in the hopes of trying to limp myself home. Boost & power have come back, and miss isn't as sharp but still there.
Unilevers suggested manifold or turbo gasket or CAC leak, but using someTerm I overrode the turbo to 90% and couldn't find a leak. Now after the Diesel Kleen and boost returning to normal, I'm pretty sure it's a spark plug. It passed all tests in Insite, but that don't mean much. I've had leaky ones pass before.
I'm delivering tomorrow, then thinking of finding a place to park and change an injector in a parking lot. This is on a CM871.
I don't carry in the truck with me;
-injector leak tester
-inch pound dial torque wrench
-crows feet for torquing the lock nuts
-heel bar to pull injectors (but I do have a few pry bars)

Kinda thinking that I can make do with what I've got with me, except the dial torque wrench. Any suggestions where to get an inexpensive one just to do this and readjust everything when I get home?
Anything else I'm missing?

There's a Home Depot within walking distance of where I'm unloading to get a couple buckets for the coolant. I pack click type in/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches but I just don't think truck bounce and shaking would be very kind to the dial which is why I don't pack it. That and a guys just got to make choices in confined spaces.
Open to suggestions...

Edited to add: oh yeah, I'll get a turkey baster and Q-tips from Walmart next HD to clean the oil out of the head and bolt holes properly as well...

I use a nail to pull my injectors and for the oil in the bolt holes I just screw the bolt by it self in to squeeze out the oil

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201701/post_675_1484641404_6cf1e1ff2f7ef30ff06649b32eb997f2.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
I purchased this torque wrench for setting injectors. - It is every bit as accurate as the $250 one I have here, and now I use it instead.

https://amzn.to/2Y85knB

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Hammerhead , Drybulktanker
The crow's foot and ladies slipper could be picked up at the Home Depot. Do you have 3/4 ratchet to bar the engine over? If so I'd say you'd be able to make do in a pinch. Don't know if you gonna pull both rockers or not. It can be done on an 870 without. I assume the 871 is the same. The real question is which one is bad? I don't recall seeing if you said you knew which was bad.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.